BEST (non-custom shop) BASS YOU OWN..GO!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LittleBassChops, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LittleBassChops

LittleBassChops

Tell me about the best production bass youve owned (currently or in the past). Specs welcome..
  2. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I'm pretty sure all of my basses fall into this category... I guess you could say my G&L is custom, but I still consider it a production bass. I have a Fender American Std P, but I customized it myself (that's why so many of the mods are "wrong")... The only bass I have that is bone-stock and undoubtedly a production bass is my Reverend Decision... love it
  3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

I personally think of some "production" instrument builders as a "custom shop" , Ric , G&L , Musicman etc etc they just turn out more instruments per year .
  4. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

For me it was my 2000 Fender USA Jazz Black w/tortois shell pickguard maple neck i swapped a guy for a Stingray about 3 or 4 months ago i have regretted it ever since im having a horrible time trying to replace it.So thank god for my CS 64 relic.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation Supporting Member

For me, it's a 1999 Fender MIM Jazz 4 string, because it's the only non-custom shop bass I own right now. :)
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

My Lull M5V. I don't consider them custom shop basses. I think of them as "customizable" production basses.

[​IMG]

Specs:
    Ash body
    Maple neck
    Bird's eye maple fb
    Bartolini pups & pre

However, if you're going to be a stickler then it's a tie between my Lakland Skyline 55-64 & Peavey Millennium 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    My EBMMs are awesome for me, the bands I perform with, and my budget. I get exactly what I want, built very well, with quick turn around if it's not in stock somewhere.
  9. SoLongJake

SoLongJake

I don't think you can go wrong with crafted/made in japan fenders.
  10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I have five basses, and, when I am playing it, each one is the best: Fender Classic '51 P, Fender Classic '50 P, Fender AVRI '57 P, Godin A5 Fretless and a MusicMan StingRay 5.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

My 1973 Precision. I don't have it any more but I always thought it played, looked and sounded great.

I had a pro player or two check it out when I sold it and they all agreed that it was as good as I thought. I just wasn't playing it any more, and I didn't want be featured on the next episode of A&E's Bass Hoarders.
  12. sunbrother

sunbrother

G&L SB-2, swamp ash body, black pg, 3 bolt micro-tilt neck, 7.25 radius maple board in translucent forest green. So comfortable. I put power slinky's on it and it's a beast.

Not sure if you'd consider it custom though :l
  13. spade2you

spade2you

Several Peavey Cirri, a Peavey Millennium, and an old Kramer Forum I. Killer basses that keep up with my high end stuff.
  14. timmus

timmus

Boy, that's a hard question...I have three that are equally awesome in every respect (form,fit & function), my 1982 Vintage Reissue P (1962), my Carvin all Koa LB75 and my G&L L2500. All so totally different but all so awesome to play. It's kinda like asking which one of my kids I love the best.

That being said, I do own other basses that I like to play but they don't rise to the level of the three I mentioned.
  15. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

You're all going to laugh, but:

[​IMG]

My little medium-scale Yamaha MB-2 has come through in a pinch more times than my US Fender P or Hofner basses.

It's comfortable to play and there's nothing finicky about it at all...it's just always ready to go.

Is it the most monetarily valuable bass I own, no, but it's definitely the one I turn to in an emergency.
  16. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Even though I'm currently replacing the truss rod, my best non-custom shop bass is my Spector ReBop 5DLX
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've got a few that I could easily call my best.

Lakland US JO (44-60).
    EBMM Stingray 5
    EBMM Stingray 4
    Modulus Q5

And if you're counting them, my Sadowsky NYC's. A JJ5 and a PJ5. I guess they're basically built to order, but I don't know if they count as custom or not.
  18. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Although its not my favorite bass I own, my Fender Roscoe Beck Signature is definitely the best overall.
  19. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

If you take Sadowsky and Lull out of the picture, I would say my G&L LB100
  20. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Never owned a bass that wasn't customized one way or the other.
  21. Jepus

Jepus Supporting Member

My MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz. The action goes crazy low and with some upgrades (Nordy pups and an East preamp) it just slays my other basses.