Best OD/Dist for a Ric 4003?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hand Amputation, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation Supporting Member

I have a great clean tone dialed in with my bass through a Yorkville 400 watt head and an Avatar 2x12 Neo cab. Problem is, I am having a hard time deciding on how to get a good, moderately distorted tone. I have a Swollen Pickle and an older USA Big Muff, but I think an OD or distortion may be better suited for finding a good spot in the mix.

Another problem with trying the fuzzes is that they feed back like crazy. I would like to find something that I wouldn't have to turn off as soon as I am done playing.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

My Ric seems built for the B3K. If you want, I have lots of clips!

It definitely compliments the Ric's natural grind and punchiness more than any other pedal I have tried. Most pedals mask that attack so well, and it's a shame because it sounds so awesome in a rock context.

3. Hand Amputation

I'd love to hear the clips. While my fuzzes are good at what they do, I feel that I need something less muddy, and more focused.. Also something with less feedback and noise.

Thanks!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would also look at a Blower Box OD

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Here's me trying to add bass to a Helio Sequence song. It was a one-shot, so there are mistakes(and it was hard to get rid of the keyboard bass's boominess). But pay attention to the 1:00 mark, my playing cleans up a bit there and you can hear the slight grind up top:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r5aj5wubmwht53/Helioscrewups.mp3

Going through my GK800 as well here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoc6wayyzyyvesj/328D.mp3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq586wjwkqwrqp4/grindy scratchtrack2.mp3

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12413136&q=hi&newref=1

Going through my friend's Peavey combo guitar amp. There's def more overdrive used here, and lots of double-stops after the pause around 45 seconds:
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12727240&q=hi&newref=1

Guitar Rig4, going through an AC30 wMarshall cab emulator:
    https://soundcloud.com/centaurus_a/3chordcrunch

w/Tech21 Oxford:
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11659543&q=hi&newref=1

Well, that should give you some idea. I like a LOT of top-end and am always working on getting more, so know that this pedal can go softer for sure.(look up "long synth" on my soundcloud page for that one)

7. Spectrum

Spectrum

I use the B3K with my Ric and I swear by it. The B3K can do wooly fuzz if you want, but it's really good at grindy overdrive and emphasizing brightness, which seems to bring out the monster that lives within every Ric. One of the great things about Rics is that they sound so good with most types of distortion/overdrive; it's just a matter of find which one appeals to you.

8. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

T-Rex Bass Juice definitely does not suck with my 4003.

9. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

^^ Awesome. I don't think many overdrives suck with a Ric!:)

10. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I too think the DG B#K pedals sound great on a Ric. Lotsa dirt pedals to choose from, tho. IMO these pedals suit the Ric very well.

11. Rickenmonster

Great sounding clips. You're obviously not in a "bass should be felt-not heard" situation.

12. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Thanks, Rickenmonster:)

And yeah, I definitely like the "tin can" attack that a Ric seems to be able to get quite nicely.

13. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I owned a Ric for years and loved muffs (with a noise suppressor), Malekko B:Assmaster, and the RAT (clone). If you can't get a NS for the muffs, I'd suggest trying a Malekko for fuzz and run a RAT or clone at low gain.

14. Rickenmonster

I've got a Black Cat BOF. Very similar to a Malekko. Might even fall into clone territory.

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you ever considered a Marshal Guv'nor? I would think these would be an ideal match. There is a lot out there right now, but IMO, the Darkgalss stuff is awesome. Pricey? Yes. But so worth it. If you dont want to spend that much, check out Mjacs suggestion of the Idiot Box Blower Box. This is a very raunchy Rat based dist. If the Rat isn't your type of thing, check out the Source Audio OFD. Then youll have 12 different dirts from tube OD to tube screamers to metal dist to fuzz to choose from all with EQ and blending capabilities. For $170 brand new, its pretty hard to beat.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

When you said 'focused' you described the B3K.

17. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Here are a few for you:

http://puregrainaudio.com/audio/mother-a-new-life-ep-world-premiere-album-stream

My main rig for the recordings was: Ric 4003 > FEA DE/CL > [dirt for the song] > Mesa 400+ > Orange OBC410 (DI before the pedals and a mic on the cab).
    1) "Dying Day" is a medium gain Fuzzrocious Rat Tail with no diodes engaged, bridge pickup selected
    2) "Ghost" is a Mountainking Magnetar (you can hear it pretty clearly on the verses), bridge pickup selected
    3) "Outside" is a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail on lower gain settings with no diodes engaged, bridge pickup selected
    4) "Driving Myself Insane" is a Smallsound/Bigsound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine with the gate footswitch engaged, bridge pickup selected
    5) "To Live Within" is clean, neck pickup selected

18. Hand Amputation

Lots of info here. Thanks! I will look into these.

FWIW, I think the Muff and Pickle both sound fantastic, but the feedback is not gonna work for me!

19. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I run several Ricks thru a Yorkville 400 as well. I love my Fender Sublime, Most dismiss it because it's huge, but after years of searching it's my fave dirt box.

20. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Boost knob on a GK head

21. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Or a Sansamp bddi. It gives mine a nice thick gritty tone.