Best of both worlds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dazmond, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dazmond

dazmond

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has their 4 string bass tuned to a standard 5(BEAD, or alternate low tuning such as CFA#D# which is really fun). I don't really solo, and I love having the extra low notes. I found it was easier to learn bass on a 4 and I've never felt a need to have the 5th string.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Lots of bassists do that.

Me personally, I'd rather use a 5er. I use the G way too much.
  3. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

I did that once, but I knocked the earth off its axis, seriously. So I retuned it B# E# A# D#, and everything was fine. My buddy Dino tunes his C F Bb Eb for his Lethalicon project, but he's got the alder body, and mine's poplar, so my bass sounds totally different.

:bassist:
  4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Did it at one point, but tastes and music preference changed so I found no need for a low B (4-string or not). Even on my 5'er, I tune DEADG so I have a drop-D ready for the songs that require it.
  5. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Some double bassists, both classical (Quarrington) and jazz (Mitchell), tune their instruments in 5ths: C, G, D, A typically.

This provides a broader range on a four string instrument. However, that is not the only reason why they do it. For double bass the 5ths tuning affects the instruments tone in a positive way. It also enables composers to compose like they would for a violin or cello. (They are coginizant of the differences with 4ths tuning on the DB).

There was a thread a few months back that talked about 5ths tuning on BG.

FWIW,

Jim