1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best of both worlds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dazmond, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dazmond

dazmond

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has their 4 string bass tuned to a standard 5(BEAD, or alternate low tuning such as CFA#D# which is really fun). I don't really solo, and I love having the extra low notes. I found it was easier to learn bass on a 4 and I've never felt a need to have the 5th string.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Lots of bassists do that.

Me personally, I'd rather use a 5er. I use the G way too much.
  3. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

I did that once, but I knocked the earth off its axis, seriously. So I retuned it B# E# A# D#, and everything was fine. My buddy Dino tunes his C F Bb Eb for his Lethalicon project, but he's got the alder body, and mine's poplar, so my bass sounds totally different.

:bassist:
  4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Did it at one point, but tastes and music preference changed so I found no need for a low B (4-string or not). Even on my 5'er, I tune DEADG so I have a drop-D ready for the songs that require it.
  5. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Some double bassists, both classical (Quarrington) and jazz (Mitchell), tune their instruments in 5ths: C, G, D, A typically.

This provides a broader range on a four string instrument. However, that is not the only reason why they do it. For double bass the 5ths tuning affects the instruments tone in a positive way. It also enables composers to compose like they would for a violin or cello. (They are coginizant of the differences with 4ths tuning on the DB).

There was a thread a few months back that talked about 5ths tuning on BG.

FWIW,

Jim