1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best onboard preamp to pair with Dimarzio Split P's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drooldud, Jan 14, 2013.

1. drooldud

drooldud

So i'm in the process of building a dream (to me ) bass.

I'm taking a beat up MIJ Fender P Bass and putting in a Dimarzio Split P and a second P in te bridge position (ala the Blacktop Series Jazz Fender makes)

I already figured I'm going to add a couple switched or push/pull pots for series/paralell but now I am trying to figure out the best onboard preamp to pair it with.

3-hole, 5 hole, whatever, i really dont care. It's a frankenbass that will have no resale value so I dont care about how many knobs it has.

What I do want is 3 (B,M,T) or 4 ( B,LM,HM,T) band eq, active/ passive with passive tone and individual volume knobs.

My goal here is to make a bass that is extremely versatile.

Split P in Paralell giving a Soapbar style tone, In series giving a modern-traditional P bass tone. EQ to taste.

I also hear these pickups are EXTREMELY hot output so perhaps I should scrap the idea of onboard preamp altogether?

Would love to hear some opinions!

Thanks y'all!
  2. drooldud

drooldud

or possibly split/paralell pull pots
    and a passive tone knob for each pickup
    and a volume for each pickup?
  3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

4. drooldud

drooldud

i appreciate the response.... but have no clue what you are trying to tell me? lol
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Some of the BC Rich Mockingbirds came with dual P's. I posted the video of Jerry Preston working with a Mockingbird with the electronics I posted the link to from Neal Moser.
  6. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Supporting Member Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Some BC Rich Mockingbird basses have a dual P configuration. Mine does.
  7. drooldud

drooldud

ah! Cool! Not what i'm going for though.

Looking for something with more of a growl. I use a GK 1001RBII amp and 2 Mesa Powerhouse 410 cabs. My ideal sound is something along the lines of Justin Chanellor (Tool) but obviously this isnt the bass to do it with (or maybe it is?)

I want something that can be a P-Bass with just the neck pickup and something fuller sounding with the bridge as well!