Best Opening Song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarkMgibson, Feb 13, 2013.

1. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

This question obviously applies to cover bands, but I'm curious as to what song your bands open with. In my current band, we usually open with "Don't Do It"" (The Band), and it's a complete rip off from The Last Waltz. It's one of those songs that starts with a drum beat, then the bass kicks in, then the keyboards, guitars, then vocals (with harmonies).

The other band I play with does Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young), which isn't a bad choice (thought it wouldn't be my choice). Still, it seems to work.

It's always a bone of contention with bands as to what song we should open with, so I thought I'd start a thread and see what other bands choose for their opening song.

Regards,
    MarkM

2. bassbrother666

bassbrother666

the eye of the tiger...lol but i think it really comes down to the genre you play AND, don't forget that different crowds have different tastes, adapt them to the crowd you're playing..(sorry for my poor english)

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Hmmm. Interesting question. To be honest, our trio tend to have a completely different set-list and running order each time we play.

My most recent choices for set openers were 'What You're Doing' (Rush), 'Planet Earth' (Duran Duran), 'John The Fisherman' (Primus) and 'Big News' (Clutch).

Deciding on set-closers is even tougher.

4. Big Cadillac

Big Cadillac

Our current opener is Machine Head by Bush....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dreads311

dreads311

Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. The only time I really use my octave effect. I should mention this is my favorite to open with, not our only one (we have 200+ songs in our repertoire).

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

John The Fisherman! Nice!

If I saw a band open with that I'd be hanging out for the rest of the night. Obviously a bassist and musician perspective though.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Haha yeah, it's one of the few Primus tunes we dare to take on! Although to be fair, I've been playing it for nearly 20 years, so I've pretty much got it down, though its still a challenge to sing and play at the same time.

We've also closed sets with JTF or 'Wynonas Big Brown Beaver' :)

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Just remembered. The last gig we did (about 4 months ago) we opened with 'In The Meantime' by Helmet. Now if ever there was a riff I wish I owned, its that one.

10. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Our current opener is 'Four Kicks' by Kings of Leon. It's a nice easy loosener.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
    Siberian Khatru - Yes I WISH!

12. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Set closers are tough, but at least you can gauge what the crowd is in to. We often chop and change songs through sets just by the way the crowd reacts to different songs. That first song though, it can make or break you to an extent.

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

"Don't Do It" was actually the last song of the set (the very last encore); Scorcese placed it as the first number.

14. JMimbs

JMimbs

In college, being the only classic rock/blues band on campus, we opened with "Old Time Rock and Roll" and closed with an extended version of "Can't Always Get What You Want". Not only did we play both songs well, but it summed us up nicely to the hipster/alternative/emo/indie crowd.

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

16. Richland123

Richland123

We have several opening song choices we use depending on the event, venue, and audience.

If we want to ease into the show without startling people right out of the gate, we play Heart Of Gold by Neil Young and it works no matter what type of crowd.

For a more energetic song, we play Gimme All Your Lovin' by ZZ Top and it also works very well.

If the show is more of an oldies affair, we open with Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly or She's Not There by The Zombies and they do well too.

We have quite a few other songs we open with but those are the most common ones we play first.

17. LPStephens

LPStephens

American Band. Usually grabs everyones attention and draws them in.

18. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Thunderbird-ZZ Top

19. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Yeah I know, but it works very well as an opening number. The movie is favourite of mine, which is probably why I chose the song. It was great to see the Grammy tribute to Levon Helm - great drummer, fantastic singer.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

We usually open with the Beatles' Money or ZZ Top's LaGrange.

21. moten33

moten33

We have almost always opened with Seven Mary Three's Cumbersome. Next gig I think we are opening with Weezer- Hash Pipe just to mix it up a bit (after a year of opening with Cumbersome).