Best order to watch Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tom once dead, Nov 17, 2012.

1. tom once dead

tom once dead

I'm finally going to do it. I've never watched the entire series and I've been putting it off until the right time so that I can just fully take it all in.

But that begs the question, which order? Part of me wants to watch them in the order they came out as this is how most people watched the series and how it was intended to be. But then again watching them IV, V, VI, I, II, III might make for a much better story line experience. There is also another option that was recommended by a huge Star Wars fan, that being this order
    http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

As far as an epic journey goes, machete seems like it would be the best order to watch the series. But it could change the viewing experience greatly.

So all you Star Wars fanatics out there, what is the best order to watch movies in for someone who is watching them for the first time?
  2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

If you start from episode one the second half will be better. If you watch the old ones first you will be let down.
  3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

If You're able to look past the "top-of-the-line never-seen-before special effects back then, class-C Sci-Fi special effects now" the story-line is "wholer" in I II III IV V VI order. Obviously.

I can't sincerely recommend that approach though. As bad the dialogs are IMHO in all of the movies, watching them in the "correct" order of which they came out softens the blow a lot.

Regards
    Sam
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Two totally different experiences.

I-II-III-IV-V-VI gives you a full storyline, and Darth Vader doesn't seem like as bad of a guy.

If you watch IV-V-VI-I-II-III, Darth Vader is one evil dude, hard to believe that he once was a little kid.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I never thought of it that way but that really nails it. It's all about which Darth you want.

I saw the original three as a kid when they came out. It was still entertaining to see the news ones later.

I would go in order of release, not the story line. I imagine watching the old ones and THEN getting the back story is more fun. It's like having an old friend that you think you know and then hearing about something really ridiculous he did before you met him. Does that make sense at all?

P.S. I saw the original at a DRIVE IN in (I think) '79. Man, I'm getn OLD!
  7. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

I watch em in this order, I IV V I II V I III VI, and I always make sure to use pitch correction to change the voices to the key of G.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
  8. droo46

droo46

Watch IV, V, and VI. It's a darn good thing they never made prequels; that would have been silly.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

A good laugh and off to bed. Thank you!
  10. Simo98

Simo98

Prequels as a flashback.

Watch VI and V, then episodes 1-3 and come back to finish off with Return of the Jedi. So IV, V, I, II, III, VI.

This way you preserve many of the twists (Darth Vader is Lukes father, Yoda is a jedi master), leave a good cliff hanger at the end of Empire Strikes Back as you look back at how Lukes father did become Darth Vader, see the parallels between Anakin and Lukes training and growth, and come back to finish off with the happy ending, resolution and grand finale at the end of episode VI.
  11. tom once dead

tom once dead

Yeah, this is the machete order that I linked in the first post. It made the most sense to me as far as the story goes.
  12. Atoz

Atoz

IV,V,VI, then stop. Don't waste your time with the inferior I, II, III.
  13. tplyons

tplyons

So when will we watch VII? After III? Or VI?
  14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

IV-V-VI; then stop.
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

4, 5, 6, and then watch those three again in order. Don't bother with the first three... seriously.
  16. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

+1
  17. Salamenster

Salamenster

Their planning to make another 3 movies; VII, IIX and IX. With that in mind for the next couple o'years I'd start with I and keep the storyline intact, however I do understand that you may find that the stormtroopers are sissies that don't know how to use a blaster, watching IV after III.
  18. Staredge

Staredge

I'm not sure I agree with this. I happened to watch a little of the originals not too long ago, and I'm kind of amazed how well they hold up. Yeah, we're not up to the standards of something like Avatar, but CGI annoys me anyway.
  19. nutso42

nutso42

Watch them in numerical order. I - II - III - IV - V - VI.

Seriously.

My reasoning being, Star Wars is not the tale of Anakin Skywalker. It's not the tale of the rebel alliance battling the empire.

It's all about R2-D2.

Watch them in numerical order, and you will realize R2 is the main guy. EVERYTHING revolves around him.
  20. carlos840

carlos840

As a mega fan i vote for IV - V - VI and then if you feel like it I - II - III

The new ones are just to bad and could ruin the whole experience for you!
  21. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Watch 4,5,6. Then watch them again.

DV was once a good guy. That's 1,2 and 3 sorted.