1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best overall metal rhythm section?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kazz3lrath, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

For me, it's gotta be Tool. Ain't nobody lays down the groove like Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey's drumming is unrivaled.
  2. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique

Black Sabbath
  3. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Nothing better than the origional. We're all just imitating.
  4. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Led Zepplin
  5. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

There isn't really much out there as far as a true "metal rhythm section" beyond Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Tool. Most other metal bassists and drummers don't really have the kind of push and pull and dynamic interaction that would merit the term "rhythm section".
  6. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

7. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

Score another for Sabbath. I prefer Zeppelin overall, but I just cannot say they are metal.
  8. Achille

Achille

I would invite you to listen to Jason Rullo and Thomas Miller of Symphony X, to me the greatest rythm section in progressive metal
  9. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Steve Harris with Clive Burr and later with Nicko McBrain. Simply unbelievable.
  10. lwknives

lwknives

Cephalic Carnage, hands down.
  11. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

unrivaled? i dunno
    the guy from lamb of god is amazing
  12. ntenny

ntenny

IMHO, there are two basic roles for a metal rhythm section: lead the beat and propel the band forward like an out-of-control dragster (Megadeth, Skeletonwitch, every thrash band ever), or play behind the beat and drag the band through the sludge by main force (Black Sabbath, High On Fire, every doom band ever). Slayer is unusual in being able to do both, but on the whole I think the vast majority of bands take one road or the other, and it doesn't make much sense to compare across the two.

I guess the third way is "explode all over the place", a la Pig Destroyer. Grindcore rhythm sections are impressive in their way, but kind of hard to judge for technical quality...

-NT
  13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

You are all wrong. Tomas Haake and Dick Lovgren. Meshuggah. The End. :)
  14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Rex Brown and Vinnie Paul
  15. El-Bob

El-Bob

This is a good point.

I would disagree with almost all previous posts. I think Megadeth, slayer and Anthrax have had great rhythm sections for thrash (I also include rhythm guitar in the metal rhythm section because... well, it is. Dream Theater also comes to mind... maybe not a lot of 'groove' going on, but to be able to hold such complex songs together, you gotta give them props. Check out Keep of Kalessin as well.
  16. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

That's a good point, though odd that you would compare leading the beat to a "dragster".

But Slayer I think is under appreciated in that regard.
  17. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I've gotta give it to Opeth, personally. Martin Mendez and Martin Lopez are an amazing combination.
  18. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique

Krist Noveselic and Dave Groel of Nirvana had it going on Nevermind. Cliff and Lars....
  19. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

These two or Geezer/Bill.
  20. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique

Lemmy and Filthy Animal