1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best P-Bass for $400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Dec 21, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

Hey TBer's, what's the best P-bass for $400? Been watching my local CL and our classifieds but would love some opinions. I did find a nice 51 Reissue but without the ash trays and pickguard for $475 but would like to stay at $400.
  2. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

I'd say a squier vintage modified or a classic vibe. I have the VM in amber with maple fretboard. You can get them for around 279$
  3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+ 1
    Also a used Mexican Fender P.
    Left field selection 80's Yamaha BB400
  4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

My moded Yamaha Pulser. I've compared to many others and this thing feakin kills.

:)
  5. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

There isnt much in the way of fenders for $400 or less unless you get a deal.You can get a MIM standard though. Personally my favorite P basses in that price range would be a classic vibe squier or a older MIJ Ibanez Roadstar.

My main working bass is a squier 60s P in sonic that I got for $175 shipped on GC used site.
  6. msact

msact Supporting Member

7. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

MIA Peavey Fury?
  8. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

I'd say either the Squier VM or the Freeman Signature. Both rockin p's for cheap. And I preferred both of them to MIM's I was able to try.
  9. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

If it only needs to have "P" pickups to qualify, may I suggest the Yamaha BB series? Used, I've seen the active one going for $350... Personally I feel these basses are incredibly versatile and severely underappreciated.
  10. truckin88

truckin88 Supporting Member

I second mia fury they are bargains and tone monsters. The one I have I got a great deal on and it is one of the best playing basses I have had, plus it just growls...very aggressive more thank my fender with 1/4 pounders
  11. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

12. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

What's the country of manufacture on that '51? If it's a Fender Japan model, you better buy that thing before I do!!!

;-)
  13. s4001

s4001

If you're not adverse to slinging some screwdrivers, a parts bass. I just built a 57 Ri with Fender Original 62's for less than $250.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

Squier Classic Vibe 60 P = Nice vibe ,solid build, stable neck, OK-weight, easy-playing-vintage-fret, great looking,worth for money.
  15. bassdog

bassdog

16. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

17. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

Yeah, it's a 2005-2006 from Japan. Also found a Sting model at $550 but trying to talk him down. I saw that the 51 Japanese are +$700 at GC. Are they that good?
  18. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

used MIM P Bass
  19. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

MIA Peavey Fury, or MIJ Ibanez Blazer of Roadstar P copy. These three are better than any MIM in that range, IMO. The roadstars come in p and p-j configurations ( as well as a ton of other configs, but not really p-comparable)
  20. MascisMan

MascisMan

I bought my MIJ 1981 Yamaha BB800 P-Bass used here on TB for $400 and it has been fantastic!