BEST P-BASS PASSIVE PICKUP?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RUDEONTOUR, Mar 11, 2008.

1. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

Wanting to hear some peoples feedback on p-pup's. I love quarterpounders but wanted to see some other options
  2. Parabolic Box

Parabolic Box

I'm partial to Lace's foray into bass pickups. But there are some really high-end boutique pickups that I never even heard of before, and will probably continue to never hear of.
  3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

What sort of sound are you after? there are many options out there and some of them serve their purpose to the highest standard. The rest may or may not fit for the application you have in mind
  4. main_sale

main_sale

Well, I added this Lollar P-Bass pickup to this American Ash Fender along with 50's wiring, Badass III and a Hoveland tonecap. There is a noticable improvement in articulation and clarity while still retaining that vintage P-Bass tone I love so much.

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

I hear Fender has made some nice ones ;-)
  7. arthurzen

arthurzen

I'm partial to humbuckers, so I replaced the stock pickup on my American P with the Dimarzio Split-P DP127s

A good little pickup for the price.
  8. snaverb

snaverb

Seymour Duncan
  9. fitbass3p

fitbass3p Supporting Member

I've used a couple Delano pickups in my p-basses, and I don't think I could go without them at this point.
  10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

I've used DiMarzio which are very hot, but since they're ceramic they're pretty focused on the mids.

I plan on using a G&L P pickup someday, though. (Also extremely hot).
  11. JustOpenYourMind

JustOpenYourMind

The best P-bass pickup I ever had was the seymour-duncan Antiquitty I pickup, it has bass, plenty of mids and a really nice top end. You can go from motown thump to grindy rock tones. And it sounds wonderful.
  12. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

"BEST P-BASS PASSIVE PICKUP?"

I thought we already decided, the best P-Bass PU is....the Duncan Vintage.......no, the Fender Original '62.......no, the DiMarzio Model P.......no, the.......what was it again?:confused:
  13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

No best pick up. Just great or perfect for the application or the tasks need to fullfil
  14. optikhog

optikhog

+1. I love the EMG-P myself.
  15. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

Though I play in Heavy Metal/Hardcore bands, my favorite basstones have always been Roger Glover and Glenn Hughes, especially the stuff they did in the 70's( by the way, who knows what Glenn had for a rig at the 73 usa jam?). I like the sound of those old amps driven hard, but more than anything I want that mean ****ing growl, that I feel not only cuts through the enemy(guitarists with full rectifier stacks) but makes them sound better at the same time! My main bass is an alder fender body with original Badass bridge, SD Quarterpounders and a custom quartersawn maple neck from USA CUSTOMS. I run thru a Sansamp BASSDRIVER to a SUNN 1200S, going into a SUNN 410 and a MADISON MAB412. I also use a SANSAMP PSA-1 for recording. Oh and I have used DR Lowriders since 1998

Attached Files:

16. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

IMHO the trick lies in the mids. Low mids for body and dense tone, and a little high mids for growl and definition. If you go into lows and highs you'll gett lost in the mix and you'll not be supporting the song or the bandmates. Thick, versatile and passive P pickup? Villex IMHO (then again, try reading as much as you can for many pickups, before you decide). Villex pickups sound thick and huge, to start with (not bright or brittle). Not your vintage P tone but "wider" (in lack of a better term). I play Hard Rock and Heavy Metal with my Villex loaded basses and the result is great (eg Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rainbow). In all honesty, I have not tried my basses through Bassdriver or other effect cause I found no need (neither my bandmates feel that I am lacking something tone-wise). Just my .02
  17. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

I will check those out, thanks. For over 10 years I have been a touring foh engineer so I completely agree with you about eq. And as you said, i am trying to read up as much as I can on the other options
  18. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I really like Lindy Fralin's "P" pickup.

George
  19. jrfrond

jrfrond

Disclosures:
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    I personally like the DiMarzio Model P. It has a nice, warm growl and works nicely with a series/parallel switch. It's a break from tradition with ceramic magnets and adjustable polepiece, but it's my personally favorite. For the more traditional look and tone, the Fender Original '62 is very nice. Hey, how can you go wrong? The same person who wound them in '62 still does today, and the rest of the formula (flatwork, magnet wire, magnets) are also identical, plus the price is right.
  20. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Acoustic Image
    I just replaced the Seymour Duncan on my Mike Lull P with an overwound Lollar and the difference is astounding. Great vintage vibe but much better highs and lows than Leo ever heard.
  21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan makes some nice p-bass pickups. I like most of their products.