1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best P Bass Pickups For An Agressive Sound...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJThunder, Jun 19, 2012.

1. JJThunder

JJThunder

Hey Everyone.

I am about to start modifying a Squier P Bass for playing more agressive styles of music and one of the 1st jobs is to replace the stock pup.

I was after a pickup that was easy to get an Agressive sound with plenty of Attack while retaining clarity, strong bass and mids but doesnt drop too much treble.

I have been looking into several pickups however ive narrowed it down to 4...

Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pounder
    DiMarzio Split P
    Delano PMVC FE/M2
    EMG PHZ

Can anyone provide any reviews and feedback regarding tone regarding these pickups or any other that might fit the bill.

2. LiamPodmore

LiamPodmore

Get the active EMG (not the HZ) and squeeze a battery somewhere in the control cavity. I've got it in my P and its exactly what you're describing.

Liam
  3. JJThunder

JJThunder

4. sweetwillyp

sweetwillyp

I have been through just about Every pickup out there..

If you want a Good Hi-output passive pickup that sounds Great for Agressive music...IE Punk and Metal and Hard Rock you cannot miss with a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder.

If you like to Change up styles and play Funk and Metal and Various stuff EMG is the way to go.. The only issue that I have with EMG's is that when you couple a EMG with a BTC preamp you can cause sub freq. Problems
  5. Coldmilk

Coldmilk Supporting Member

Sounds like you want the EMG P, not the PA. The PA is loaded with alnico magnets instead of the ceramic magnets of the EMG P, and has a warmer and politer tone.
  6. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "aggressive" but if you dig the pre-CBS Fender Precision ('57 - "65) sound, then the new Aguilar 4P-60 is terrific. A great authentic p pickup.

Jim
  7. JJThunder

JJThunder

Thanks Everyone :).

This has helped me loads :)
  8. UBU

UBU

Get the quarter pounder and run it through a 500k volpot straight to jack. That with set your pants on fire.
  9. JJThunder

JJThunder

Thanks :). Im a bit of a noob to this sorry, why the 500k volpot? What sort of tonal diffrence will it make to the standard? Does it install the same as the standard volpot (Which im guessing is a 250k, i havent looked inside the control cavity yet 2bh rofl)

I am a massive noob when it comes to upgrading guitars and im sorry if i just asked any stupid questions lol.
  10. Mykk

Mykk

My sentiment too. I have the SPB-3 in a precision copy. It woke that bass up, for sure.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a good vintage-style P pickup with the same 500k pots will be all kinds of aggressive. (for me it's a stock-wind fralin, my P just kills with it.)

use a linear volume and an audio tone to get the best sweep out of each control, especially at the higher resistance.

if you want vintage motown again, just roll the tone knob back a pinch.
  12. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Wooow. I was just thinking the same thing. I was coming to do a search haha. We even narrowed it down to the same 4! Crazy..
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

all good "heavy rock" choices except for the EMG HZ; the HZs are "OK" but not great.

(HZs are what come in lots of the budget guitars, and get routinely dumped for better stuff.)
  14. JJThunder

JJThunder

I knew that they had some good Active pups but i didnt want to go down the route of Actives. I knew that Seymour, Delano and Dimarzio were all Passives and i figured that it would be similar to the EMG 35HZ which is used in alot of Schecter and sometimes Stuart Spectre basses and work well with heavier styles of music so i sort of guessed that the PHZ would be close

Im gonna go with the Quarter Pounder, its already ordered and should be here in a few days :)
  15. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Cutting the wire to the tone control recovers some lost highs, and makes it a bit louder. Subtle, but it definitely helps if you want that raw, angry P-bass punk tone.

Same with going to a 500K volume pot from 250K. Same type and size of part, just a different value.

Hint: if you put a mini-switch inline with the tone control, than you can take it in or out of the circuit at will.
  16. Mike M.

Mike M.

Jeez....I too was thinking about a pickup change for my Squire Affinity P as well. It's got a nice sound but I never realized how weak the pickup was until I bought my MIJ P and was able to do a comparison. The pickup in the MIJ is stronger and seems to have a much better range. I have no idea as to what exact model pickup's are in each bass.

It's hard to describe, but let's say that on a scale of 1 to 10 (in terms of output) the Squire pickup is around a 3 while the MIJ is around a 6.

What would you recommend I try in the Squire to even out the score a bit?
  17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

No direct experience here, but I think you'll find that the Delano PMVC FE/M2 is the real sleeper of the bunch. I own a pair of the five-string, J-style version of this - the JMVC 5 FE - and...Wow! Are they ever hot, punchy, and aggressive! :bassist:

For anyone who may have missed it, here's a review by TB member jmattbassplaya from about three months ago:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/delano-pmvc-fe-m2-review-863048/

MM
  18. JJThunder

JJThunder

Okay so In order...

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders
    Linear 500K Pot (Volume)
    Mini DPDT switch to bypass tone pot?
    Audio Pot (Tone)
    Jack

What rating should i use for the Tone pot, Its going to be Audio but 250k or 500k?
    Also, would a DPDT work to bypass the tone control if wired up correctly?

Sorry about my noobishness, im really not great with electronics rofl.
  19. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

another vote for the quarters
  20. Teacher

Teacher

For anyone who's used both: how would the quarter pounder compare to the Wilde P-46 for rock? I'm interested in getting the P-46 and J-45 as a matched set but am open to alternatives.