1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

best Padded gig bag for bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vernthebass, Mar 17, 2014.

1. vernthebass

vernthebass

I travel a lot with work and want to take my bass with me, I'm often in hotels and can make good use of the time practicing.
    My MM bass in always stored and transported in a hard case when gigging but its a bit awkward to handle when checking in to a hotel - so i want to know can anyone recommend a really good padded gig bag just for bass guitars?

2. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Meh... Supporting Member

How much do you want to spend? You can get a decent World Tour or Gator bag for about $30 bucks or so. A really, really good one like a Mono M80 can run you close to $200. Protec and SKB make some good ones for around $100.

3. vernthebass

vernthebass

Thanks Mike - I was looking at the mono M80 - I wondered if it was worth its price tag?

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Mono, Reunion Blues and iGig all make high quality gig bags.

I have the Mono Vertigo for bass, and the Mono M80 for guitar, and I like both of them quite a bit: https://www.monocreators.com/home.asp

I used to have a Reunion Blues Continental. It it an extremely well built case, and probably at least as protective as any hard shell case. It ended up being a bit too bulky for me, plus the straps are mounted in such a way that the bass sits high up on your back, and was constantly bumping it into things. http://reunionblues.com/

A couple of friends have the iGig cases, and they are top notch: http://www.mikobass.com/iGig/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve

Steve

if you want a hybrid with some rigidity,,there are lots of choices.

If you want a "bag"...the best I've seen is the probag stuff which starts around $200.

http://probagg.com/bass_guitars.html

7. hover

hover

The GRUVGEAR Gigblade is pretty interesting too, for similar price to the MONO bag
    http://www.gruvgear.com/gigblade

That said, I own the MONO M80 and love it. But if I were in the market for a second, I'd consider the GRUVGEAR.

8. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I love my M80. Well made, lots of handy pockets, rides great on your back.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

There are a lot of really good bags out there to suit different needs and "best" becomes a matter of opinion. My overall pick is a Glenn Cronkhite leather bag. It's a one time investment and a beautiful piece of craftsmanship from the guy who invented the gigbag. The Fender shaped one fits into an SKB Roto which makes a really good modular ATA rated system. More about Glenn Cronkhite.

My Mooradians have seen a lot of use around town over the last couple decades. Not as bombproof as an M80 or RB Continental but is US made and folds and stuffs better than most bags for maximum compactness in small restaurants and bars. They also fit well in the SKB Roto.

10. Medic579

Medic579 Supporting Member

.02 cents. I have a reunion blues that I have had my 35 inch scale BTB 5 ER in forever it is absolutely great.

11. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

For the money, I think G&L makes a great one. MTD, too.

12. rob2966

rob2966

Love my Sadowsky Portabags.

Later
    Rob

13. gzarate85

gzarate85

igig 515 and 525 and mono m80 and vertigo all the way. Great for travel.

14. gzarate85

gzarate85

About the gruvgear case... I don't know but to me the option to only sling it on your shoulder is a big negative. Furthermore, IMO, it simply looks awkward to have your bass slung on your shoulder like a super huge purse.

That said, I'd would totally be into their cases if they had back straps, because their case design does look appealing.

15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I have a MONO M80 and a Vertigo. Both are great and worth the price.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Another vote for Mono.

+1. The lack of carry options are a big mistake IMO. I wouldn't be able to use it without backpack straps. Plenty seem excited about it though.

18. ConnManX

ConnManX Supporting Member

I have the igig G515, love it!

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Yeah, my initial impression was that their solution to the problems (sic) of a conventional gigbag probably only creates a different set of problems. But kudos to them for thinking outside the box and challenging the status quo with what looks like a viable product.

fwiw my next gigbag is definitely going to be a Mono M80.