Best Pedal Board ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassballSawyer, Dec 22, 2012.

1. BassballSawyer

BassballSawyer

I play stuff from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon, Aerosmith...to MotorHead and John Mayer. What's the best to get....the Boss ME 50 ?

2. wabbit

wabbit

The 'Search' feature of this site is your friend. Try it. You'll like it. ;)

3. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Pedal Train has a wide variety of quality products ranging in very fair price. Only use 4 pedals? No problem. They have one that size. Use 20 pedals? They have that, too. Or.... make your own and spend almost no money. :) There are plenty of threads here to help you figure out how to do it on your own. It's more fun that way, too. But, if you just want a board and you want it now, pedal train can do it for you.

Like it says in the previous post, the search menu will do you wonders. Type in whatever the hell and do some Batman work. Good luck to you and welcome to TB. Remember to keep a sense of humor, around here. :)

4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    It sounds like you are asking about a multi-effect pedal. Search that. Zoom B3 is a common choice right now. I don't recommend the ME50B any more. It is old technology and not very versatile compared to the newer units by Zoom and Line6, and even some of the other Boss options. Search those terms and read up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassballSawyer

BassballSawyer

Thank you all but I'd really like something with an octave pedal to get the kings of leon CLOSER bass effect

7. ozzyismetal

ozzyismetal

Then get an octave pedal...?

8. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

I don't think he knows exactly what he wants.

9. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

I think the best way to start off would be getting a cheap multi-effects pedal, figure out what you want, then go from there. Won't do any good to recommend specific pedals until you understand what you're actually looking for

10. BassballSawyer

BassballSawyer

@Poopoutyouridea I'm a guy....I'm indecisive

11. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

12. morgansterne

morgansterne

I had an old zoom bass multi fx pedal and it was AWFUL. Noisy from the getgo, really weird distortion sounds, etc. I repaired it a bit by de-soldering and moving some switches that stopped working, but then the tuner went crazy (and it had never been very good in the first place).
    I bought a Zoom B3 and I like it. It's only about twice the price that any individual pedal would be. I have used it for at least a dozen gigs in the past six months since I got. Slap Echo to play Sex on Fire, envelope filter for some funky songs. (We play like four different RHCP songs, oddly.) I use the "ensemble" and defret effects for some more acoustic sounding stuff.
    Probably it doesn't sound as good as having all the boutique pedals, etc., but it will certainly help you figure out what fx you are actually going to use.
    Then feel free to go and purchase "the real thing" if you like.

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Hahaha! Wait...what?!?!

Back to your question though, it's an extremely subjective topic. How it usually works is you tell us what sound you want and we tell you how to get it. Muse's "Closer" - no idea since I'm not a Muse fan. Chili Peppers - again, not a fan so I don't know. How about Al Cisneros or Rex Brown? Justin Chancellor? Dave Edwards? :)

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sansamp Bass Driver should cover just about everything you play.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I love my pedalboard ... It has evolved into this perfection ...

[​IMG]

1 - First I run into an equalizer

2 - Then I split the signal into 4 parallel signals with a rolls mixer.

3 - I run one of the parallel lines into the Line6 bass pod where I model an acoustic 360 with a rat or big muff distortion pedal. I use this to get a retro growlly distorted sound. Or I also model an Ampeg fliptop with the Rat Distortion pedal. And I also Model an old Marshall amp. With the bass pod I can get a wide range of clean or dirty sounds and various effects and model different amps and speaker cabinets.

4 - The second parallel signal goes into a MXR bass di+. I use this pedal to get a clean modern sound. It also has a distortion button that can give a moderate to extreme amount of modern distortion.

5 - The third parallel signal goes into a Marshall Guv'nor. This gives me an old 60s marshall stack sound. This can go from a small amount of distortion to an over the top marshall sound. This effect can give you a the classic Jack Bruce Cream tone.

6 - The fourth parallel signal goes into a Tech21 VT Bass pedal. With this effect I get a slightly dirty Ampeg SVT bass amp sound with a tube like growl.

7 - Then I remix the 4 signals back together and run it into a bass amp, or pa, or studio mixer. Because the signals are parallel I can mix clean and overdriven sounds together and still get effect and a sound that punches through the mix.

[​IMG]

I am thinking about adding these 2 additional pedals

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. newbold

newbold

Welcome. Start with the Boss multieffects board and you'll probably stay there unless you really find a need to branch out. It'll do most everything you'll need from a multieffects board and will do it pretty damn well.

Kick some ass and save for more gear in a few years.