1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Pickups for fretless bass (need your advice)?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NYRGravey9, Jul 17, 2012.

1. NYRGravey9

NYRGravey9

Howdy all. I just converted an old Ibanez Soundgear bass to a fretless (actually isn't that hard, there's a great 10-part series on YouTube, i can link it later), and I was wondering what pickups would best accentuate the fretless sound?

It was a 300 series soundgear, with both a J and P pickup, if that helps. Thanks!
  2. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

That. I love the sound of a fretless P/J.

As to the choice of pickups, my preference is to go as close to vintage-spec P and J as possible. I don't care for the sound of high-output (hot) pickups in a fretless. YMMV, of course.
  3. thorplaysbass

thorplaysbass

I have the voodoo jazz pickups in the bass in my picture and I love them, they don't get enough attention I don't think. I'd either get some of those http://www.voodoopickups.com/
    Rio grandes or EMGs if it was my bass
  4. Jools4001

Jools4001

I haven't got any yet, still saving for them, but I like the sound of Delano SBC5 HE/S..or at least I like the sound of them on the soundclips on their site
  5. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Anything noise canceling, so you can solo pickups with sounding like a bug zapper.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Anything quiet that you can hook to a good on board 3 band EQ. Bart's would be OK. If you like more traditional, Vintage Vibe does a coil tappable split P and a split coil J that are great sounding and very quiet.

IMO having a properly voiced mid control is the schnitzel for fretless bass... Which is why my other answer is a stock EBMM Stingray... But that's to gonna fit for you...
  7. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Nordstrand NJ4SE noiseless single made for fretless and the nP4 p pickup or the vintage correct one.
  8. Klepto84

Klepto84

Hi...I have a Squire P-bass that I had converted to fretless, mostly because I am lefty and found lefty fretless off-the-rack was hard to source and pricey. I use flatwounds and get a decent fretless voice through my Roland 100 cube, but was considering replacing the 3 pick-ups on my bass. Any suggestions?
  9. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

The original model EMG pj set is my fav combo pj pickup set. I have this in a fretted ESP Vintage 4 and in a LTD fretless 214. I have a fretted LTD 204 with a '62 p and Duncan vintage j and honestly think the EMG is better, especially for fretless and I consider myself a traditionalist and usually prefer passive basses.