1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Best pickups for metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ironderby, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Okay i apologize in advance for being too lazy to search this one:
    But i have a Precision bass, and would like new pickups that are better suited to playing metal. I play songs by Opeth, Lamb Of God, Megadeth and the like, and im looking for pickups that give both a clear and bright tone but aren't tinny-what would you recommend? :D

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It never gets old, does it?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Burlington, VT
    Delanos! I have jmvc. Try PMVC for p bass.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You are kidding.
    Yes?

I agree on Delanos or pickups. They really are good.

6. No....im not. Just because certain people in metal bands use them doesnt mean the stock pickups are universally perfect for every metal tone :eyebrow:

7. LowerCrust

LowerCrust

Sep 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I'd recommend you find some better metal :bag:
    Large exposed-pole humbuckers in the vein of MM pups are my favorite for a fat metal tone that keeps a lot of clarity in that sort of soundscape; Delano, Nordstrand and Duncan have a few each; driving root-note background rumbles and such.

edit: lol, didn't read that you had a P-Bass, skimming posts all day long
    Definitely Delanos.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

All of the bands you mention rely heavily upon the bridge pickup to get their sound. Just sayin'.....

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
  10. Get a jazz installed in the bridge position. That'll help more than replacing the stock.

I daresay pickup position/pickups used (in regards to where they are placed) is one of the most important things that determines tone.

11. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  12. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I'd go with a F-350 with dualies. Make sure it has the powerstroke diesel in it.

13. ^What he said. Make sure you get the skull shift knob installed, though.

14. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    EMG. Close thread now

15. Funny how it's always for 'metal.' We never get 'best for' jazz, pop, funk etc..... Always with the metal. Odd.

16. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    I was in a similar position to you and i was using a P bass, I was trying to get an agressive growly sound that had was thick and had some brightness to it. I used a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder with a 500k Volume and Tone pot.

I can send you an Audio Sample or a link to a youtube video or something if you want?

17. LemmyLicious

LemmyLicious

Sep 27, 2010
    Maybe it's "always for metal" because the majority of dedicated bassists anywhere play everything not-metal, and we metallists simply can't rely on as established community and knowledge base for advice... :)

18. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    EMG PX. Nuff said ;-)

19. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    OP's been here for longer than a year. Sure he doesn't know about all the "best for metal" threads...

20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, CA
    DiMarzio Model P (Dp122) should give you what you are looking for.
    Other option Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders.