1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best place to buy 10" speakers online

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Feb 5, 2013.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

I have a empty Avatar 2x10 cab I want to get speakers. I want it to be 4ohm and be able to handle my Ashdown ABM500 EVOII. Where's a good place to look online? What are some good kinds? Does anyone here have any? lol
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Contact Avatar. They should know what will work in their cabinet design.
  3. shirojiro

shirojiro

I am having problems with my Avatar B410.
    I emailed Avatar and Dave replied within a day or two.
    I ordered a new speaker from them. Hopefully it will be here soon!
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Don't keep your hopes up that two 10" speakers will handle 500 watts of bass on their own! ;)
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

This

Maybe get Dave to give you a deal on another whole 2x10 as well. They may have to be 16ohm cabs to make an 8 ohm pair. Should wind up about 350W into 4 tens, far and away louder than 500W into two.
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Oh, really? My cab does just that rather well.

lowsound
  7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

B-string is nothing if not concise (in a good way). No need to throw open the gate to an entire discussion as to whether or not a 2-10 will get "loud enough" for whatever requirements the OP has at this time. I think it suffices to say that regardless of drivers, there would be more amp than cab in the equation. That's not a bad thing per se. It's just something for the OP to be aware of. Just because he has 500W of wall-shaking head available, that doesn't mean his 2-10 will either take it all, or be "loud enough" by itself. It might, but it might not (even if he were to put two 4000W each 10" speakers in the cab).

(Geez, I need to go to concise school.)
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

You have a PM
  10. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

11. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

Check with Dave @ Avatar. He has eminence 10150 8 ohm neo 10" 250 watt speakers on sale. 2 for $112 + $25 shipping. That will give you 4 ohm 500 watt cab for
    $137.00. That's a pretty good deal. Good luck.
  12. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

Definitely call Avatar. Not only because they made the cabinet, but you're not going to find a better bunch to deal with. I wasn't even buying one of his cabinets, just overstock speakers, and Dave personally went out of his way to make sure I got what I was looking for. Not too many places you'll find that kind of customer care.

I have to agree with B-string as well. A 500 watt 2 x 10 cabinet may not turn out to be everything you're hoping for.
  13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Dave at Avatar is Great. I have had great customer service time and time again from them. I would also recommend a 2nd 2x10 if you need to keep up with loud drummers & Guitars.
  14. mixamatchi

mixamatchi

I buy from partsexpress.com. I have had good luck with Dayton PA255-8 drivers as "generic" replacements. They sound great, and are rated 300w rms, each. I have also had a good experience with speakerhardware.com .
  15. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I'm surprised there is not more mention of Leland Crooks and www.speakerhardware.com
    He is one of the major Eminence distributors and offers excellent pricing on the web site.
    I know him personally, and he is an outstanding businessman for customer service.
  16. Punisher

Punisher

Seismic Audio speakers work well also.
  17. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

I was literally confused as I scrolled through the posts and didn't see a post for him. I order nearly exclusive through him.