Best practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Squawk, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

Im looking for something lightweight to play with at home that has good sound for the size. This will not be used for gigs. I will be playing a Gibson SG Special.

Recommendations please. Thanks.
  2. JYBass

JYBass

I love my roland bass cube, its very, very nice.
  3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Remember that when you're practicing alone, your aim is to learn a part and to improve your technique. Tone is far less important.

So look for an amp that's small, well-priced and, if possible, has a headphone output and an aux input so you can play along with music or a drum track.
  4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

Something transparent sounding is also helpful. A small Roland keys amp would work well.

I use a GK backline 110. Similar but I'd like an aux input. I just don't care enough to spend more money. If I NEED an aux in I'll use my small mixer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ExTek

ExTek

Kinda need a budget. But I would recommend one of the older Fender Rumbles (not the new v3's, unless you have a wider budget.) I used to use a Fender Rumble 350 and it's fantastic for practice and home use. You can find them cheap!
  7. Squawk

Squawk

Budget would be $100 - $200. The less I spend the more I have for future setup that would be for gigging.
  8. Junk420

Junk420

I just picked up a Marshall MBB15 for $140. I can't complain at all. Plenty of amp for me to practice with and a few options as far as tone goes. Between the 2 channels on the amp and the Preamp on my bass, I have enough options to keep me entertained until that little voice in my head that wants a Line6 Pod finally wins...
  9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I have a Rumble 15 that is perfect for my town home.

I run a Fender Jazz and a Schecter Deservio through it.

The tone is perfect and the reliability is solid.

The give them away for under a hundred bucks.

Great little amp.
  10. DogBone

DogBone

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The GK MB110 is really sweet - it's a 100 watts and really small: 14.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D, vented cab, and it only weighs 21 lbs. Plus it has aux input and headphone, DI and Chain outputs too. I totally like mine.
  12. Cycho

Cycho

I use a headphone amp. Yeah, I'm cheap, but it works fine.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Fender's Rumble line of bass amplification offers some great choices for a personal practice amp.

The outgoing second generation Rumble 30 for a penny less than $130 shipped is still available for a short while. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rumble30/

It's being replaced by this new version 3 Rumble 40 for $180 shipped. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum40/

But for a mear $100 this new Rumble 25 is going to totally dominate all of the C-Note price point bass amp offerings across the board. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum25/

There is really not a bad choice here with the new Rumble 40 being the best of the three. You might look at used amps, but buyer beware. At Guitar Center you at least have a 30 day grace/return period on used gear, and can use a credit card which offers some additional consumer protection in the event of a deal gone bad.

:bassist: Rumbles Rock! :bassist:
  14. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Last year I won a Warwick BC 20 in a raffle. Aside from the location of the power switch (back/bottom), it's the perfect practice amp for me. Sounds great for 20w.