1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Best practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Squawk, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

Feb 19, 2014
    Im looking for something lightweight to play with at home that has good sound for the size. This will not be used for gigs. I will be playing a Gibson SG Special.

Recommendations please. Thanks.

2. JYBass

JYBass

Jun 6, 2012
    California
    I love my roland bass cube, its very, very nice.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender Supporting Member

Remember that when you're practicing alone, your aim is to learn a part and to improve your technique. Tone is far less important.

So look for an amp that's small, well-priced and, if possible, has a headphone output and an aux input so you can play along with music or a drum track.

5. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Something transparent sounding is also helpful. A small Roland keys amp would work well.

I use a GK backline 110. Similar but I'd like an aux input. I just don't care enough to spend more money. If I NEED an aux in I'll use my small mixer.

6. ExTek

ExTek

Feb 11, 2014
    Kinda need a budget. But I would recommend one of the older Fender Rumbles (not the new v3's, unless you have a wider budget.) I used to use a Fender Rumble 350 and it's fantastic for practice and home use. You can find them cheap!

7. Squawk

Squawk

Feb 19, 2014
    Budget would be $100 - $200. The less I spend the more I have for future setup that would be for gigging.

8. Junk420

Junk420

Jul 19, 2012
    Cornwall, Ontario
    I just picked up a Marshall MBB15 for $140. I can't complain at all. Plenty of amp for me to practice with and a few options as far as tone goes. Between the 2 channels on the amp and the Preamp on my bass, I have enough options to keep me entertained until that little voice in my head that wants a Line6 Pod finally wins...

9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I have a Rumble 15 that is perfect for my town home.

I run a Fender Jazz and a Schecter Deservio through it.

The tone is perfect and the reliability is solid.

The give them away for under a hundred bucks.

Great little amp.

10. DogBone

DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
  11. The GK MB110 is really sweet - it's a 100 watts and really small: 14.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D, vented cab, and it only weighs 21 lbs. Plus it has aux input and headphone, DI and Chain outputs too. I totally like mine.

12. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    I use a headphone amp. Yeah, I'm cheap, but it works fine.

13. Fender's Rumble line of bass amplification offers some great choices for a personal practice amp.

The outgoing second generation Rumble 30 for a penny less than $130 shipped is still available for a short while. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rumble30/

It's being replaced by this new version 3 Rumble 40 for $180 shipped. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum40/

But for a mear $100 this new Rumble 25 is going to totally dominate all of the C-Note price point bass amp offerings across the board. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum25/

There is really not a bad choice here with the new Rumble 40 being the best of the three. You might look at used amps, but buyer beware. At Guitar Center you at least have a 30 day grace/return period on used gear, and can use a credit card which offers some additional consumer protection in the event of a deal gone bad.

:bassist: Rumbles Rock! :bassist:

14. Twocan

Twocan

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Last year I won a Warwick BC 20 in a raffle. Aside from the location of the power switch (back/bottom), it's the perfect practice amp for me. Sounds great for 20w.