Best practice/small jam amps for extended range instruments?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Right now I'm playing six string basses exclusively (though I'm hoping to get a four in the near future), and I'm not too thrilled with the sound my Acoustic B30 is putting out. I'm wanting to get a new amp in the near future and I was hoping for some advice.

First of all, I live in a one bedroom apartment t on the second floor, so something light and portable is a definite plus. I would very much like to have headphones and an aux in for play along tracks. I'm currently a bedroom warrior with the occasional visit to a friends house to jam, so I don't need a whole lot of power, and in fact I would prefer something that sounds good at low volume levels.

I'm hoping to stay under $400 if possible. Id also be willing to consider a travel amp in addition to a practice amp if I can find them at the right price.

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
  3. Greysun

Greysun

What is the reliability factor with this amp? It looks interesting but, everyone I've known who used a Carvin amp (guitar, bass & pa) has either sent it back to Carvin for exchange / refund / repair or had it repaired locally within in 2 years of purchase. The Instruments are exceptionally nice, and the speaker cabs sound good and are reliable, but the amp units seem to have a fairly short service span.

4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Ampeg BA combos and GK MB combos are getting lots of love on TB lately. I'm not sure they all have the aux in, but they're worth a look. I'm pretty sure they all fall into your budget, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

A used Markbass CMD121P combo might work well for you.
    Its a very small 12/horn type combo but has 300 watts into 8ohms, giving the combo a solid low end and headroom while having enough high end for the rest of the bass. One of the best selling products Markbass offers.

7. gary m

gary m

TC Electronic BG250 in a variety of speaker configs. Has aux in, headphone out and balanced out, switchable pre or post EQ. Can go to the gig or sit in the bedroom. Doubles as a nightstand if you're furniture challenged.

8. JakobT

JakobT

I use an Ampeg BA-108, which is small and light, had good sound, AUX in and a headphone jack. Inexpensive, too.

9. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Powered monitor and a zoom B3? Great at low volumes, very giggable, and you can use Phones with the zoom.