1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best practice/small jam amps for extended range instruments?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Right now I'm playing six string basses exclusively (though I'm hoping to get a four in the near future), and I'm not too thrilled with the sound my Acoustic B30 is putting out. I'm wanting to get a new amp in the near future and I was hoping for some advice.

First of all, I live in a one bedroom apartment t on the second floor, so something light and portable is a definite plus. I would very much like to have headphones and an aux in for play along tracks. I'm currently a bedroom warrior with the occasional visit to a friends house to jam, so I don't need a whole lot of power, and in fact I would prefer something that sounds good at low volume levels.

I'm hoping to stay under $400 if possible. Id also be willing to consider a travel amp in addition to a practice amp if I can find them at the right price.
  2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
  3. Greysun

Greysun

What is the reliability factor with this amp? It looks interesting but, everyone I've known who used a Carvin amp (guitar, bass & pa) has either sent it back to Carvin for exchange / refund / repair or had it repaired locally within in 2 years of purchase. The Instruments are exceptionally nice, and the speaker cabs sound good and are reliable, but the amp units seem to have a fairly short service span.
  4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Ampeg BA combos and GK MB combos are getting lots of love on TB lately. I'm not sure they all have the aux in, but they're worth a look. I'm pretty sure they all fall into your budget, too.
  5. B String

B String Supporting Member

A used Markbass CMD121P combo might work well for you.
    Its a very small 12/horn type combo but has 300 watts into 8ohms, giving the combo a solid low end and headroom while having enough high end for the rest of the bass. One of the best selling products Markbass offers.
  6. gary m

gary m

TC Electronic BG250 in a variety of speaker configs. Has aux in, headphone out and balanced out, switchable pre or post EQ. Can go to the gig or sit in the bedroom. Doubles as a nightstand if you're furniture challenged.
  7. JakobT

JakobT

I use an Ampeg BA-108, which is small and light, had good sound, AUX in and a headphone jack. Inexpensive, too.
  8. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Powered monitor and a zoom B3? Great at low volumes, very giggable, and you can use Phones with the zoom.