Best preamp D.I pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MaddMann274, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MaddMann274

MaddMann274

I am looking for a Preamp pedal to use for live purposes, it will be used direct in the PA system. I mostly play metal, rock, and jazz.

I was planning to go for a MXR Bass D.I+
    Or is there anything better?

Sorry for my terrible english. :oops:
  2. mistermark311

mistermark311

A very popular choice is the Sans Amp Bass Driver or Para Driver:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/paradriverdi.html

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html

Both have more or less the same functions and features except the Para Driver has a sweepable mid control which is a much appreciated feature.

A less well known but equally as good is the AMT Electronics BC-1:

http://amtelectronicsusa.com/productpagebc1.html

This unit is really nice because you have a totally separate clean and drive channels that have their own pre/post gain and EQ. It also features a blend for those two channels and an overall output which can deliver an insane amount of output. It has some nice routing features as well... It does have a DI out, but it's only 1/4 inch... No XLR out like the Sans Amp. In doing my own evaluation I prefer the sound of the BC-1 over either of the Sans Amp units.

-Mark
  3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Mxr bass di is excellent!
  4. maartendew

maartendew

I own a http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm since a month now and i'm about to test it live for the first time tonight.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm

It as a XLR out, sweepable mids, great tone, and an AGS channel that adds some grit if needs be. Only down side is that AGS channel and clean channel can't be turned on and off on the fly beacause of the gap in output level, so you have to choose A Tone and leave it as-is. It as great flexibility in the various tone you can get out of it.

So far I love it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. capncal

capncal

the mxr is good, i particularly like the dirt channel that's built in. but for my money, the sansamp bass driver di has a warmer, tubey-er sound. the mxr sounds sterile to me. but is a very servicable di with built in dirt, so you can't go wrong there either.

if i hadn't found a good deal on my sansamp on craigslist, i would have rented the mxr until i owned it.
  7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Tone Hammer is where its at.
  8. chumbo73

chumbo73

I'm looking for one too and trying to decide between MXR M80, Tone Hammer and Sansamp.
  9. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    VT bass deluxe is a beast! I leave mine on all the time.
  10. chumbo73

chumbo73

What about getting a clean tone in the VT bass? Every player I see playing it uses a distorted tone and I don't want that.
  11. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

That AMT box mentioned above looks interesting. I have a Tech 21 Para Driver,that I like alot, it only edged out the VT bass V2 slightly for the blend & para mids. Tech 21 is coming out with a new version of the VT bass mentioned in another thread. The new version will have a DI, blend knob & bite switch as well as the speaker sim defeat.
  12. mistermark311

mistermark311

13. irvinz

irvinz

Disclosures:
    has too much gas
    You need two preamps I reckon, tone hammer for the metal and rock gigs, a 3leaf enabler for the jazz stuff!
  14. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

The VT can be very, very clean. Just keep the Character and Drive controls on the lower side.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would also look at the tone Hammer or Rusty Box both would be excellent for your situation.
  16. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

The VT can do clean, just a little dirty, or very nasty. It is a great pedal. I use mine as my base tone and use a Zoom B2 as a programmable EQ. I'm VERY happy with the tone I get from the combination.
  17. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I did a lot of research into this recently. My personal feelings:

The Tone Hammer was good, but I thought the dirt got a little flatulent if you pushed at all.

The Hartke Bass Attack sounded good and had an incredible price, but it was large and I couldn't force myself to believe it had acceptable build quality for just a hundred bucks.

The Darkglass B7K was incredible, but the dirt is pretty aggressive and the price is in the stratosphere.

The SansAmp BDDI was pretty good at getting a subtle retro tone. I struggled with the EQ, though. Perhaps the ParaDriver would work.

I eventually got the MXR M80. The dirt is kind of aggressive and pretty modern sounding, but I can dig it. The Color switch can make getting the right tones out of the two channels a head-scratcher. But overall, considering the DI, the EQ, the dirt, the build quality, the size, the reliability... It really seemed like the best choice.

I have a big review and some sample sounds up around here somewhere, if you're curious.
  18. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The VT is truly excellent. If I could have gotten one with a built-in DI for a decent price, I'd own it for sure.
  19. Leenibs

Leenibs

+1 on the sans amp bass driver... I use it to go to FOH and split to my amp for a stage monitor!
  20. inmate13

inmate13

You all forgot hartke bass attack. I owned tech 21 stuff and this thing is closest to BDDI with mids for like 150€ less.
  21. Anarchyok

Anarchyok

I got a 3Leaf Audio Enabler and it's fantastic! Worth having a look at!