Best Precision bass under $400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tfish1000, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tfish1000

tfish1000

The title pretty much says it all, I would like to get buy a precision bass under $400 which is pretty much my budget, will go a little above, $450 limit. I'm fine with buying used, but is MIM quality used better than the quality of VM or CV Squier ones?

2. KingRazor

KingRazor

3. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

4. tfish1000

tfish1000

I've only heard bad things about SX basses, is this true and can they be made into better basses with a pickup upgrade and a proper set up?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I also have an SX right now and I've owned one other previously.
    I like them as well. Certainly seem to be on par with Squiers and possibly MIM Fenders in some cases.

If you searched, you would find a lot of TBers who are happy with theirs.
    Yes, some people upgrade their SX basses out the wazoo, but plenty will tell you it's not necessary, maybe beyond new pots and some shielding.

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Then you haven't spent much time on Talk Bass! :D
    Lots of threads with lots of love for SX basses. My main gigging jazz bass is a modded SX and I'm very happy with it.

8. tfish1000

tfish1000

What kind of mods have you done on your SX?

9. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  10. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

New, I'd say a Squier, either a P5 or that Sig version for the guy from Rancid or the Fifties model.

Used, I say a Peavey Fury by a mile!

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Definitely look at used basses on TB classified or your local CL.
    I picked up a MIM Fender Jazz bass 5 string for $160. Perfect condition. You never know what you'll find.
    Now, in terms of P bass, are you looking for a standard P bass or one of the newer derivatives? As in one with a p/j pickup configuration, a blacktop with two humbucker type pickups?
    Your budget can very easily get you a MIM Fender Pbass, one thing with them is that you definitely want to try them out. You can get a really good one or one that's well, not quite as nice. In comparison to the Squiers? I'd pick a good MIM Fender P bass over a good VM or CV Squier any day. That's just my opinion. I have a new VM Squier and I'm not really all that happy with the quality of it. Problems include the overall workmanship- frets were sharp (easy fix), some fret wires seem uneven causing some string buzz, the neck needs a shim, there were wood splinters from the neck being rammed into the neck (the splinters were sticking out from the neck pocket lol). The pickup could use an upgrade (kind of factored that in given the inexpensive cost of the bass so no biggie) . It's the overall quality issues from this new bass that I wasn't all that impressed with. I'm sure it'll be better once sorted out but even then, it will not be better than the quality of the MIM Fender Jazz I have.

13. Grissle

Grissle

A used MIM will always hold its resale value. Throw in a nice pickup like say Fender '62 Original and you'll have a solidly built instrument with pro quality tone.

14. FenderJazz1989

FenderJazz1989

Used 2008 and newer MIM P bass. Solid basses.

Or a CV 60s P. Just got one to play along with my 2011 MIM J and my '13 AVRI 64 J.

Great classic P sound, I personally like fiesta red, great qc on it. Got it brand new with 15% off and was pretty flawless right out of the box.

15. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Here's mine....a Squier VM Precision (amber). This is my first Pbass, and I wanted a vintage look and sound, without breaking the bank. In a perfect world, I'd be able to just whip out a credit card, and waltz away with a vintage natural MIA P. I think I got real close with this one. After modding it out, I have no GAS for a MIM or an MIA.

[​IMG]

Modifications included a (Wilde)Bill Lawrence P46 pickup, CTS pots, CertainBass Variometer, Switchcraft jack, aged pearl white pickguard, Fender 9050 SS flatwound strings and a bridge cover. It sounds the way I want it, looks the way I want it, and I have about $500.00 in it. I bought the bass new (on sale), but if I had snagged it used, I probably could have done this for the $400.00 you were looking to spend.

[​IMG]

I'm biased, but I don't think I could have had a better "P" than this for $400.00!!

16. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

My personal view on this would be either a used Mexican or a used Squier (either VM or CV, doesn't really matter) as both would have taken the deprecation hit on them, and both are bloomin' good platforms to expand on... Though that's just my taste, other folk will suggest other good platforms as well.

The only solid bit of advice I'd give, is when you are hunting the machine down, is go in with an open mind and see how they feel and play unplugged regardless of what shape the headstock is and which logo is attached. Find a good, solid base level instrument to work with as in this price range you could find some turds as well as diamonds; as to quote my tech (and the bass player out of his band as well) is "Invest in good wood, the rest can be fixed later".

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    The P46 is easily one of my favorite P pickups, and at only $64 it's an unbelievable deal; good call brother :D

18. Linnin

Linnin

+1,000

:cool:

19. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

If you can find one, get an MIJ Fender Precision.

20. electracoyote

electracoyote

+1

I have three contemporary MIM's, two Precisions and a Jazz. I meant to stop after the first, but just kept going, so much bang for the buck. Holds value well, but can be had for around the $400 mark.

21. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I saw a Killer Guile Pilot one here.
    It was in great condition and I think it was a 5 string, but rite in the prices range.