Best product to fill neck/body holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by soaf, Apr 8, 2014.

1. soaf

soaf

I am swapping necks on a bass and need to fill the previous holes in the maple neck. What should I be using to do so?

Also, what is the best product to fill unneeded holes in the body, from pickguard/bridge/strap pegs, etc?
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You should drill out the existing holes and glue wooden dowels in place, then sand flush. They should be tight enough to require a bit of light tapping with a hammer to get in place. Then you can drill new holes. Don't try to use wood filler or putty, that stuff is for cosmetic use only.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

In areas that are cosmetic fills only, there are epoxy fillers that work best.

For areas where strength is an issue, wood plugs are the minimum; no putty will suffice. But, if placement allows, threaded inserts are a superior alternative in the neck; you still may need to plug with wood first.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Without a doubt, especially if you're planning on drilling new holes adjacent to the originals which is almost always the case.

Riis
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Does epoxy bond well to the polyester found on MIM bodies?

What's a good wood filler that poly or epoxy would stick to? I've got an MIM body with a knot hole that needs filling. I don't want to put something in there and have it shrink on me, or certain finishes won't stick to it. If it's something I can pick up at the local home labyrinth, all the better.