1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Setup for Portability...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 21, 2014.

1. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

I'm sure this has probably been asked to death so I apologize. But, I'm at the point that I'd like to try to slim my rid down even more. I currently have a LMII and 2 Epifani 1x10 cabinets. For upright, I seem to have to take both 1x10s to gigs to get a deep sound that I like. Its pretty portable but I'd like to see if I can get an all-in-one setup that'll fit what I need.

Id like to go no larger than a 12in speaker. I definitely want to keep the same amount of volume I have now and I'd like to keep the weight around 25lbs. I don't have a price in mind but I don't need to go broke.

I play both upright and electric in a 16 piece jazz big band and a 4 piece quartet.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm looking for a combo amp. Don't think I want to do a modular setup again.

2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have two Schroeder Mini12Ls that are 21lbs each and sound great with my SL900 or the Max 9.2. If I need a bit more umph I have a Tri-115 that use as a single cab most often but one time I did mix it with the 12 with the tweeter and everyone told me it sounded great..... The mini 12s are decent cabs.. a little middy but with the right tweaking you can get that bottom out of them.

3. obimark

obimark

TC BH250 and Little Mark traveler 210 cabinet. (For louder gigs I add another 210 light cabinet) What's not to like?

4. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Is it volume or tone that makes you use two 1x10's? If volume - a more efficient speaker, with lower ohms and greater cone excursion will help. A direct replacement speaker may just work for you.

Or thinking outside the square....
    A friend made himself a fibreglass composite 2x12" cab that I could lift with one finger (under 25lbs). Still bulky but very lightweight & big sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

It's the deeper sound I get running the 2 10s together. Volume wise, I could probably get a away with 1 10.

I don't know if I blatantly said it, but I'd like a combo amp. Don't think I want to do a modular setup again.

7. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I'm quite pleased with a Streamliner 900 and an F110.

8. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

Any other suggestions? I've been looking at a Markbass 121P or an Acoustic Image Ten2 setup.

Pros for the MB is its less expensive and I think the 12in would produce enough volume and low end that I need.

Cons for the MB is, last time I played one of their cabs, it had a boxy sound.

Pros for the AI is it is very compact and, from what I understand, sounds great on double bass. Also it has 2x10s, which I like the sound of tens, but I dont know if the configuration its in would be a good representation.

Cons are mixed reviews for electric bass. Some say it may not be loud enough. Price.

Anything else I might consider? Keep in mind, I'd like a combo setup. The whole goal of this is to reduce the amount of components I need to take. I'd like an all-in-one that I just plug in and go.

9. hazmatt

hazmatt

i've been very happy with my markbass 121P for the lows and portability, but no experience running an upright through it. i know you're looking for a combo, but consider the markbass ny121 cab since you already have the lmii which is the same as the combo head in the 121P, and will run ~ $300-400 less if you're buying new. i prefer the ny cab to the 121p combo because the solo cab has a lil more room to breath without the amp taking up space (the cab & combo are matched in overall size), and it has a tweeter attenuator which the combo does not.

10. DogBone

DogBone

I'm going to suggest you at least audition the little Ampeg BA112.

I know it's "only" 50 watts, but it's a pretty loud and deep sounding 50 watts, and the tone puts it, at least in my mind, up there with the revered Rocket series of Ampeg combos.

I wasn't even looking for a 12" combo, but I happened to audition the entire line of the Ampeg BA series last week while I was in the city for business and I was so impressed by the little 112 that I'm pretty much going to go ahead and get one for myself.

Not even because I need it, but because it sounded so good. I was that impressed, so yeah, I'd encourage you to give 'em a whirl at least.

11. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

Hmm, I like Ampeg stuff but I just don't think 50w would be enough.

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, you'll never know for sure until you try one - so why not at least give one a test drive - it couldn't hurt and you might be surprised too. On another note - there is also the GK MB112-II (200W). I've never personally used the MB112-II with a DB, so I can't comment - but, I've read some mixed reports (mostly favorable) here on TB, so you may also want to at least test drive one and see if its your cup of tea or not. Good luck and best wishes with your search. Joe

13. carvingcode

carvingcode

I recently picked up a MarkBass CMD 112P. There's quite nice tone shaping controls built in. Its 30lb weight was just what I was looking for.

I use a Zoom B3 effects unit to drive the signal and add slight effects. I really enjoy the sound I get.

Randy

14. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Definitely not cheap, but I'm very happy with my AER Amp 3. About 30-35lbs. Crazy loud for the size, and excellent tone and punch.

15. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Anyone compared AER amps with the Arnpool Crazy 88 cabs?

16. 12many

12many

I heard you. Don't know if you want modular. I've recently purchased a GK 112Neo cab which I power with a GK MB 500. I find depth, big bottom and bright articulate highs. I feel this amp adjust out weak segments to my instrument. I feel the "eureka". It's so easy to pack. Hope that helps you.