1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Small Combo? Carvin MB10, GK MB110, Ibanez Promethean P3110

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Feb 9, 2014.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Looking for the best sounding mini grab-and-go combo for about $300.

Has anyone compared any of these.

I'm looking for primarily DB use with occasional light BG use.

Haven't seen or played the Carvin but I like the para mids and contour knob as opposed to on/off contour on GK.

Gallien-Krueger MB110 - $299.99 (Internet quote for $235)
    Size: 14.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D
    Weight: 21lbs
    Power: 100W
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB110

Ibanez Promethean P3110 - $349.99
    Size: 13.8"H x 12"W x 12.6"D (**almost all websites have wrong specs copied from the 3115 model.)
    Weight: 23.2 lbs (most websites also list this incorrectly as 37# - also from the 3115 model)
    Power: 300W

Carvin MB10 - $329 w free shipping
    Size: 18.5"H x 12.75"W x 11.5"D
    Weight: 23 lbs
    Power: 200W
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

3. rickwolff

Yes, I've had insatiable curiosity regarding the powered speaker route. I actually have a small powered speaker arriving tomorrow to try out. It was a case of temporary online insanity. I ordered a 200 watt RMS 8" Pyle powered speaker. Certainly not in the category of your QSC but it will give me a chance to try the concept (and it may be a decent at-home amp for my Casio piano. (and for less than a $100 my wife has, for now, let me live). I'll let you know how it goes.
  4. dunnobass

dunnobass

5. Dave Hobbs

Dave Hobbs

Got to say - the GK MB110 is a great little amp. Works well with my carved and piezo PU, without the need for a preamp. lots of bottom and clarity. Works really well, off the floor, with my archtop guitar too! Brilliant value.
  6. rickwolff

As soon as I saw the 'Brilliant' value I had to look up and wasn't surprised you're in Wales.

Nice to have a first hand testimonial from a player of a carved DB.

Ta
  7. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

I've been trying to find info my self about the carvin. Then again for as little as I play I out I should just continue to go through the p.a