1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best Solid state bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cuatro_cuerdas, Sep 30, 2010.

1. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Hi,

I am thinking about buying me a new bass head, and eventhough I like tubes, i don't want to discard the posibility to buy a SS head. Based in your experience what would be the best sounding SS amp head in the market now?

I am looking for something warm and clear at the same time.

Just for reference I play a Fender american jazz bass deluxe, and I am planning to use the amp with a Kustom 2x15 vintage bass cab.

Any thoughts could be a great help.

Thanks

2. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

well, I'm more than happy with my markbass little mark II.
    add a VT bass pedal if you want a tube-like tone and you're done ;-)

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Gallien Krueger is one of the most beloved SS manufacturers out there.

I have the Backline 600 and 1001RB-II.
    The BL600 doesn't have as much headroom, it's sounds dirtier and agressive. (and that's why I use it the most)
    The 1001RB-II has lots of headroom off course, and is very clean.

Everyone says the Gallien Krueger 700RB sounds warmer than the 1001RB. Wouldn't know that myself since I never played the 700RB.

There is off course lots of choice between micro heads that are clean and powerful, but I'm guessing you're not really looking for that since you don't mind carrying a 2x15 cab. :)

Also you might look into hybrid heads maybe.
    I played the Hartke LH500 some time ago, wonderful head. (Based on Bassman tonestack I believe.)

4. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

there is no BEST ss amp on the market... as for what is best for you, we will require some more info: your budget, music style, tonal examples of what you are trying to sound like (clean modern slap sound or grindy rock sound?), is the weight of the amp a concern, how many watts do you need, does it need to be able to handle a 2 ohm load, do you want a tube preamp, do you want a built in compressor etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rogypop

rogypop

check out hartke lh 500 or 1000, tube pre with fender tone stack into a ss power without breaking the bank. nice!

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

OP, once you've narrowed your selection of amps down to a few choices please Google around to find out if the amps have any problems. Also find out if each amp could be repaired locally. (If long distance you have to ship it, then skip it.)

As well, e-mail the manufacturer of each amp re obtaining schematics and parts lists before you make a purchase. If they refuse your request, then deny them your business.

An amp which isn't reliable and/or which can't be repaired in to timely manner at a reasonable cost is a waste of money and time IMO.

EDIT: And please read the fine print on each amp's warranty too.

8. waleross

waleross

I recently bought the LINE6 HD750 and for the price ($499) it gives you the most bang for your buck, I have it as a back up. Its a well designed modern head and worth looking into.....

9. baron665

baron665

Tech 21 Landmark.

10. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Hi, and thanks for your reply. Music should be around 1500 dollars, my sound well..... a bit grindy rock, but with the posibility to go clean. I am not in to slapping and popping. The weight is not important. The watts should be around 300 w or 250 w. It must be 4 ohm and a tube preamp is not priority but it could nice to have. No built in compressor, I have a trace elliot dual SMX compressro pedal which I really like.

11. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

That is really good advice man, thanks!

I lived in Oslo, Norway, so it might be necesary to ship from the USA.

12. putsia

putsia

If there really isn't any local dealers/webshops in Norway it still doesn't force you to order from the usa. Thomann in germany and DV247 in england? ship anywhere in europe for a flat rate (20€ for both i think). They also carry most any mass produced head you can think of.

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

http://www.thomann.de/

http://www.dv247.com/

OP, also keep in mind that an amp maker's foreign distributor usually covers warranty and repair work. Their coverage may be different than that offered by the amp's manufacturer.

If I lived in your part of the world I'd look at popular rigs made in Europe since they should be easier to service compared to amps made overseas.

Here's a U.K.-based bass forum whose members may know more about amp buying closer to where you live: http://basschat.co.uk/

14. cuatro_cuerdas

cuatro_cuerdas

Thanks man, I knew about Thomann. But I wanted to check from the USA because, the prices here at at least 2 times as the USA prices. yeah, is quiet quiet expensive here, for instance a Markbass CL 300 is lalmost 4000 dollar here in Norway. the same for the SS heads. But I will check with Thomann and DV247 anyway.

15. BullHorn

BullHorn

So I see MarkBass love has ended. Heh.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

G-K 700rb-II or Mark Bass LM II or III for SS amps, Genz-Benz GBE 600, 750, NeoPak3.5 or Shuttle 6.0 for hybrids...

Any of those will get you where you want to go, have more than enough power, excellent reliability, and *can* be some real bargains on the used market...

Honorable mention for the Peavey Tour 450, as well...

- georgestrings

17. REAPER52

REAPER52

T C Electronics RH450.

18. perogato02

perogato02

True, I don't know how the regulations are in Norway ... but
    if you want to ship an amp from the US to Belgium, you are going to pay:
    1) the price of the amp
    2) shipping of the amp
    3) import taxes, based on the cost of amp AND shipping
    4) VAT based on amp, cost of shipping AND import taxes

Most of the time it is not very cost effective to ship just one amp from the US to Europe, or it had to be dirt cheap or extremely rare ...

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

A SS amp with a tube preamp might be the way for you to go.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I've heard alot of good things about them, but haven't had the pleasure of playing one yet...

- georgestrings

21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    An amp I should have kept! A Yorkville XS800! I loved that amp but GAS for a micro amp made me sell it and I regret it to this day!