1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best sounding bedroom/studio amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 12, 2013.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Looking for small size and great tone. Right now I have an NV610, ampeg svp pro, and Mesa mpulse 360 here at home and really enjoy playing on it. Need to take that to a rehearsal space and get something new at home. I tried the ampeg micro vr and liked it but would prefer something slightly more hi fi, but still something with lots of juicy goodness. I'm tired of my Aguilar gs112s. They are great, I'm just ready for a change. Could get into something all tube. Mesa walkabout combo is interesting. Or maybe an old SWR baby blue? Ampeg B12?
  2. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

I'm in the same situation and I'll go with an ampeg SVT15e and looking for a v4bh for studio work.
  3. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

If you can find an old swr bb do it. I,m looking for a bigger rig that sounds as good.
  4. pickles

Tried a Henry The 8x8 with a bass 350?

[derailing my own thread]
  5. pickles

I like the sound of that. A bit big for me with the 15 though.

An ampeg B25 head would be cool.
  6. Warwick Qc418

I thought about the b25 too, especially since there is one for sale in my area, but they sell for about the same price so I figured I'll take the extra watts... Still thinking about it.
  7. George Mann

George Mann

Great tone is highly subjective. I use a Hartke HA2000 with an EDEN EX110. Though many may prefer the EX112.

I chose this particular rig because the EDEN is smaller and lighter than a combo amp, and more versatile as well.

It is also a true full range cab with a powerful, even response curve.

I like the Hartke because it allows the sound of my bass to pass thru it unscathed when set flat, and has enough tone facilities to nail just about any sound one desires.

A small, light, highly portable and affordable rig suitable for practice, the studio and small gigs.
  8. pickles

Was just looking at a b25 on eBay ... Are they 16 ohm only?
  9. pickles

That's why I gave some examples of things I like, so people would understand the tone universe I'm into. I'm not really interested in power, versatility, etc ... The goal is to have something with great character (but not toooo colored/modeled -- no emulators need apply) that makes practice time fun and would make tracks with compelling richness.
  10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i've got a pretty good-sounding, active bass. i get pretty awesome results with a single studio monitor in the bedroom. it also has a minijack for my mp3's. no frills, though, so if you like to twiddle knobs this would drive you crazy. anyway thought i'd mention it. they're cheap, too.
  11. George Mann

George Mann

I hear you. The EX-series are great cab's thou.
  12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

For me, it's a living room amp and it's slowly but surely coming together: a cloned '59 Bassman with a Revolver Amps board and Mercury Magnetics iron pushing a JBL E-130 in a tone ring cab.
  13. George Mann

George Mann

By the way, my main rig is comprised of a modified Ampeg V4B, 2 Accuphase M-1000's and 4 810's. The top have of them are filled with Hartke aluminum cones, the bottom half with Eminence BP102's.

Why? After years of experimenting with countless setup's, I find that I like the sound of this one the best.
  14. Warwick Qc418

From what information I gathered, you you put a 8 ohms cab into the external speaker out if you put a ''dummy'' 1/4 jack in the first one. Trying to find out if it can work at 4omhs.
  15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

My 02.: Mesa Walkabout head with choice of 112 cab, either Mesa Scout or another. However, if you want phones out/aux in this may not be ideal for you.
  16. millsbass5

millsbass5

I'd go with Carvin's 3-way combo (I forgot the model #). Or, the Phil Jones Briefcase.
  17. Baer

Baer

For the past ten years I've been using an Acoustic Image Coda for practice at home. The two channels with send/receive connections allow me to connect an iPod or iPad easily. Sounds great. With a Vt Bass pedal, sounds really great.
  18. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

SVT-VR and two 810e's...
  19. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ampeg B100R would be my choice. Cheap, phenomenal sounding (not hifi though), cool looking.
  20. pickles

I don't care about aux or phones, have a cafe Walter and love it for that.