Best speaker Cables for TUBE amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mydog213, Jul 17, 2012.

1. mydog213

mydog213

Recently bought a tube amp, I have been learning an incredible amount of information through you guys, and wanted to say thank you for that.

BUT point of this is to answer the following questions:
    1) What is the best Speaker cable to use for a tube amp?
    2) I have a Ampeg SVT CL, when hooking the amp to the cabinet(610HLF CL) is there any precautions I should take into account?
    3) I have a Speakon connector to a 1/4 Jack speaker cable(see picture), Is this fine? Or should I get Speakon connector to Speak on connector?

Obviously I am a noob at this stuff, but I need to be careful with my investment

Attached Files:

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

What you have is fine.

The only thing you need to consider is: Never - EVER - run a tube amp without a speaker connected to it. It can, potentially, do some very expensive damage to the amp.

Other than that, don't worry too much about it. Any decent quality, heavy-duty speaker cable will be just fine.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

While the speakon to 1/4 cable will work, you probably should just go ahead and use a speakon/speakon cable.

They are far superior to 1/4 jacks, and will not pull out of your cab/head due to accident, vibrations, etc.

4. wmheilma

wmheilma

Yes. Expensive was about $300 for me when I got my first tube amp back around 1997. I ran it with a 32 Ohm load. (It was a single speaker that was a spare for a bigger cab.) This was fine for my rack rig with Crown PSA-2 power section, but the tube amp backfired and toasted some KT-88's.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I'd get a speakon to speakon, especially with a tube amp, as mentioned earlier, if you run that without a cab it will cook itself within minutes.

You won't notice a difference either way from a sonic perspective, Speakon is more for bi-amping, most people, myself included, just prefer it because it locks.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Speakon to Speakon is best, but it's really not more for biamping. It's the best choice for biamping, but almost all modern cabs have Speakon jacks, biamped or not.

8. rodl2005

rodl2005

I've had tube amps all my life, & only recently had them with speakon leads. Used jack plug leads for over 35 yrs with never a problem.
    What you have will be fine, but by all means get a dual ended speakon if it suits you.
    I use both now, but mostly still just jack to jack as that what my old tube amps have & the modern do too.

9. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I can testify to the no speaker fail scenario.
    Once when my old band played the Chameleon in SF I neglected to push the speaker plug all the way in. Turned on my amp and heard nothing. It was kind of loud with the program they were pumping through the PA so I turned up. Still nothing. Then I look at the back of the amp and see my tubes pretty much redplating in time with what I was doing with my right hand.
    :eek:
    Good thing I worked at a brewery across the street from the amp's manufacturer!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just don't get sucked into buying the most expensive cables in the store. None of my amps use anything but 1/4" jacks, but it's not a big deal to use them, although speakons are safer.

11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

If speakons are what you are looking for, I would suggest buying some cable and a few ends. Make your own in a few minutes, save a bunch of coin.

12. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Yep, and with the newer Speakons, no soldering is required, just wire strippers and a #2 phillips screwdriver.

13. chadds

chadds

I had Marshall Major on a V4B cab. Fuse blew.
    Put in new fuse with left hand on strings and right on fuse without, I repeat without, fuse cap. Of course it was all plugged in to the wall.
    Let's just say.....
    It felt like I got yanked into the air by my arm by a helicopter.
    New kind of pain.
    When I reincarnated I was a much better bass player and also more cautious.:)

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

You know what they say..no pics, no helicopter ride!

:bassist: :hyper: :eek: ;)

15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I have a noob question...personally, I never do this, but is it okay to turn a tube amp on without a load, as long as it's in standby? I know that running it with no cab and turning standby off will cook the tubes, but does it matter if standby is on?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, if it's in standby, it won't hurt the amp. You also won't hear anything out of it ;) but it won't hurt the amp unless it's taken out of standby and played through without a cab.

17. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Thanks Jimmy M! That's what I thought, just wasn't completely sure. When I went to buy my tube amp, the seller already had it powered on with no cab, waiting for me, and I was wondering about that.

18. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

The same speaker cable that is best for a solid state amp: a decent, working cable without any shorts or tears in its insulation. Those stupid electrons don't know the difference. ;)

19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Fixed it for you. :D

20. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Shhhhhhhh....................

Don't let the marketing guys at Monster hear you saying that ;)