Best squier bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 12beat, Nov 14, 2012.

1. 12beat

12beat

Hello everybody!
    Not so long ago you helped me to buy mi first bass, a Hohner, I'm in love with it, and a friend of mine is now thinking about buying himself a bass, so I hope now you can help him too.

He can't decide between this models, they are the top line of squier, so, Which squier bass is the best of them all???

http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/vintage-modified-jazz-bass
    http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/vintage-modified-jaguar-bass
    http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/vintage-modified-precision-bass-tb
    http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/classic-vibe-precision-bass-50s
    http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/classic-vibe-jazz-bass-60s
    http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/classic-vibe-precision-bass-60s
    I've only played the vintage modified jazz, and I loved it, it looked, and sounded great, and It was very comfortable to play, but it didn't have the beatle sound I was looking for, and it was to heavy too, (coming from guitar), but it was rather nice, so I guess the classic vibe must be awsome. I have a CV strat, and it is much better that the fender mex standards.

So i can't really help him, they all look nice, specially the CV 60's P-bass, It looks just like pino palladino's bass, and I'm not sure if duncan designed pickups are better than the stock ones in the CV line, and the playability must be nice in all the models.

So, do you own, or have you ever played one of this basses? Which one will be your choice? and, do you know which one of them is the lightest?
    Thank You!

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I wish I could tell you the best Squier of them all but its a secret to some of us here on TB :ninja:

To me the CV P basses and the whole series for that fact are awesome basses for the money.

3. ics1974

ics1974

I own the Squier VM 77 Jazz and it is Amazing! Can't say anything bad about it. It looks killer too.

[​IMG]

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Keep in mind, "best" is a relative term. You will get 100 answers for every 100 people.
    That being said, my advice:

GET OUT AND PLAY THEM.

You won't know what you like the best until you try them all. We aren't the ones playing your bass, you are.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

I almost owned and keep the most of them:
    no Vintage Modified Jaguar unless it's the 3TS or Crimson Red Special, for they're basswood, so lighter
    no Classic Vibe '50s unless it's the Lake Placid Blue: basswood,
    so lighter
    3TS Vintage Modified Jazz Classic Vibe Jazz and '60s Precision are all light and classy with top finishings on Classic Vibe ones
    3TS Vintage Modified Tele Precision is the best one in the lot: but you gotta get accustomed to it
    It's a stringthru body so there's room for longscale strings and
    eventually alternate tunings, but it's the only heavy basswood

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. 12beat

12beat

I knew that the best bass is just personal opinion, but that's just what i need to know, nice answers, keep it going!

8. SonOfDelorian

SonOfDelorian

I've played the Vintage Tele Precision & was very tempted to get that nice sound. Very dependant on where you are playing the bass though. If you're a bridge or neck player. Very one sounded. Though on the other hand that white jazz is a beauty

9. Fredy

Fredy

Hej mate, i see that you are looking for a squier bass. But since i see your friend is looking for a starter bass i have to recommend the yamaha RBX374 its def. one of the best basses out their for the price.

[​IMG]

10. satellite4

satellite4

I second the CV P Squiers...incredible value.

However, I always urge folks to scope out TBs classifieds and find a higher end used bass in the same range as for what you would pay new. So many possibilities...

11. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

If you're a P guy, get the CV P. If you're a J guy, get the J. Either way you can't lose. These CVs are not found often in the TB classifieds or my local Craigslist, and I suspect the reason is once people snatch them they like them and are holding on to them.

I know the VMs are supposedly good too, but other than tone preference I really can't see how any of those listed could possibly be better in terms of finish, playabity (and yes, tone) than a CV.

Disclaimer: I have a CV60J (and no, I ain't selling it either).

12. diegobxr

diegobxr

Hey there,

VM's and CV's are very nice basses. Any beginner bassist should be very happy with either one.

I had the chance of playing both and trust me, there is a noticeable difference between CV's and VM's.

I own the CV 60's P, and honestly, it's amazing. Not "amazing for the price", amazing. Period.

The VM P sounds great but feels a lot cheaper than the CV P, for sure. The main difference is the glossy neck vs satin, the vintage sized frets and of course the colour.

Oh, and FWIW, I think the VM Jazz is a lot better than the VM P, don't ask me why, but to me it feels better.

If I had to rank them in order of preference I'd go:

CV Precision
    CV Jazz
    VM Jazz
    VM Precision

(Don't care for Tele basses so can't say anything about it)

Disclaimer: I'm a P-Bass guy, I prefer rosewood to maple and I love Pino Palladino.. so.. yeah.. I'm biased.. :bag:

But hey, I'd be happy playing any of them. My original plan was to buy a VM P !! Just happened to try the CV later and chose that one. :)

Cheers

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I agree with you and place them in the same order. The CV is IMO just a better built and sounding bass. BTW, The Tele is also a great bass.

14. bh2

bh2

The CV Jazz IS one of the best basses I've played... wouldn't mind one meself.

15. Immigrant

Immigrant

The Squier VM Jazz (see post 3) is the best bass value for the money IMO. There's one at my favorite Mom&Pop that I played a few times and I was astonished at the quality feel for the $299.

16. backup

backup

personally id narrow it down to the CV and VM p or j basses.

they are all great. i own a VM jazz and am quite happy with the tone, feel. the older it gets the better it looks. its definitly not cheap. but damn its heavy!

ive played a CV jazz and its great as well, gloss finishied headstock and the finish makes it look classier (as mentioned before). its also lighter. i like the tone and feel of the VM jazz better though

never played a VM or CV precision

both have bad hardware though (imo, the VM more so than the CV) and are build sloppily. on my model the bridge isnt lined up with the neck so the E string is on the very edge of the fretboard.
    also they tend to have HORRIBLE factory set ups and are often in need of fretwork. (mine wasnt though)

17. soulman969

soulman969

Well that's the point isn't it? The best one is the one your friend likes best not the one I like or you like or anyone else likes best.

Bassbully hit the nail on the head. The CVs are all great basses and the VM line not far behind. Not just "great for the money" but great basses period. Personally I think they're the best products in the entire Squier line and I own two of them. A CV Jazz and a Matt Freeman PBass.

Have your friend go out to the store and play a few. For some the color is the deciding factor since each bass is only offered in one or at most two finished. If he hates white then he won't want a CV Jazz. But if he doesn't like the Fiesta Red CV PBass then he can look at a Black Matt Freeman and have essentially the same bass.

He really can't make a bad choice with any of them so tell him to pick the one he likes best as far as sound, playability and looks.

18. azureblue

azureblue

I once had an original P bass single bobbin bass - very low S/N. I recently played the Squire CV version of it, and, frankly, the Squire sounded like my bass and was built maybe a little better...

19. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

CV or VM. After owning my VM Jag I wouldnt hesitate to buy a VM. I really want to try a Tele though. Dont know about those. Not the new Strat bodied one, but the old one.

20. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Got a 70's VMJ and '77 VMJ and hands down, the 70's natural VMJ is tops. It's my main workhorse (even over my '73 Pbass) but as others have mentioned, pick up and play as many as possible. I've played a bunch of other 70's VMJ and none play or sound as well as the one I've got. When I first got it, I tried it and a Fender Geddy Lee jazz model.....walked away with the VMJ...it's just felt right.

Attached Files:

21. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Disclosures:
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    James Johnston Jazz bass & Vintage modded Jazz bass V