Best Steel strings, tapered, for a warwick streamer lx

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by duderus, Mar 16, 2014.

1. duderus

duderus

What's your opinion. I have a warwick streamer lx and current ACTUALLY like the red label warwick strings. However I think I am missing something in my tone compared to other strings and basses I own.

I like the string flexibility and tone but I feel I need more mid range or girth from the strings...

Any help appreciated.

I had drs on my old streamer lx and liked the and use them on my jazz. Still though the brand was missing something... They were the Marcus miller drs thank you!
  2. Toptube

Toptube

You should absolutely try either the Dean Markely Helix Stainless Steel or the Nickel Plated Steel.

The stainless steel are my current favorite strings. I just put on my third set! They sound a little deeper than other strings I have tried, have a complex mid range and a punchy low mid character. The highs are even sounding, not excessive. And they don't over express the unwanted overtones, which can sometimes happen with other stainless strings. Such as Rotos.

They also have a smaller core to wrap ratio. So even though they are hex core, they are more flexible than most hex core strings.

in a 4 string set, the E and A are taper core. The B is also tapered, in a 5 string set.
  3. duderus

duderus

What kind of bass do u use these on? I haven't used those strings since HS with a warwick I had then. For some reason I remember them being extremely bright but that was HS 15 years ago.
  4. Toptube

Toptube

Dean Markley's "Helix" strings are only like two years old. You were probably playing their "blue steels" or something, in High School.

I use them on a Fender Jaguar with Lollar reproduction 60's Thunderbird pickups (aka The Thundercat) and I use them on an Ibanez SRT800dx with a neo SGD sidewinder in the neck and a ceramic jazz pickup in the bridge, under an EMG 45 cover.

The Jaguar is bolt-on, Alder body, 1-piece maple neck, rosewood finger board.

The Ibanez SRT is 5 piece maple/bubinga neck through. The back half of the body wings are mahogany. The front half (not just a thin veneer) are flamed maple.

I would use them on my Schecter Ultra Bass, but that has a tunomatic bridge which isn't compatible with tapered core strings.
  5. Register to disable this ad