Best Strap for Weight & Neck Dive??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Twocan, Apr 29, 2012.

?

Best for weight + neck dive (non-slippage)?

1. Levy's MSS2-4

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Levy's 3" Padded Neoprene Strap (GC)

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Neotech Mega Bass Strap

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Comfort Strapp

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. Planet Waves 3 Inch Wide Bass Guitar Strap w/ Internal Pad

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I just picked up a 79 Kramer (aluminum neck) - the sound is killer, but it's a hefty bass with notable neck dive. I currently have a 2.5" leather strap, and find that the neck falls level if I take my hand off the neck or my right forearm off the body.

I'm looking for a strap to take some of the weight off, but more importantly to stop the bass from the falling (no slippage). I've searched TB and am listing some of the higher rated straps. Unfortunately my local music stores do not have any of the models listed in stock, so I can't try them out.

If you've overcome a similar problem - please let me know what strap did it!
  2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

On basses with massive neck dive I install a strap button or strap lock on the lower horn.
    This can cause "bass dip" where the bass falls FORWARD but it takes much less effort to hold it in place with this system.
  3. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Thanks for that suggestion - the bass actually has a strap pin at the neckplate which helps to an extent. Any further down and I'm sure I'll get that rolling-away-effect.
  4. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

I had massive neck dive with my T-Bird but I simply pulled the strap over the upper (bridge end) part of the bass so the strap lays flat and everything stays in place beautifully, no dive at all...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

When I play my T-40, I use a Neotech Mega Bass Strap.
  7. jschwalls

jschwalls Supporting Member

Moody Double Leather 4"
    there is no substitute.
  8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I voted for the Neotech Mega strap. I don't have a problem with weight or neck dive but the Neotech is very comfortable and does not slip. Best strap I have ever had - and I have had a bunch of Levy's and other straps.

Dan K.
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

I had one of those Kramers years ago (I sold it because of massive neck dive! ;) ) and I found that moving the strap button to the upper horn helped quite a bit.

I'm not familiar with the strap models you listed, but what I think you want here is a 4" strap with suede against your shoulder. Avoid straps that have a separate pad that slides around (because it will) and just go with a very wide, suede strap. That's about the best you're going to do.

After moving the strap button and using a really wide strap, I still never really solved the problem. I got it to the point where it was playable, but not comfortable. The tuners aren't so big on those basses that you'd save much with Hipshots (although it might help a little), so it kinda is what it is.

I loved the way that bass sounded, and kept it for a while for recording, but it never really worked out for me. :bawl:

Good luck with yours-
    E
  10. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Neck and neck between neo and comfort staps so far...
  11. DougD

DougD Bassman7654 Supporting Member

Italia 4 inch wide strap = problem solved. Plus they are cheaper than Moody, and if you buy one you get one free. You can't beat that :)
  12. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

My vote is for the Levy's 3" neoprene. Very comfortable. It's neoprene so it might get a bit slippery with certain fabrics if you have a neck dive issue.
  13. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor Supporting Member

I have the Levy's MSS2-4 for my Warwick Thumb BO4 and it works wonders. I have played a 5-hr gig with it and was very comfortable. Paid $50 before shipping. However I would go for the neotech if you don't want leather and half the price! Pretty much anything 4+" thick will work.
  14. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

What he said.
  15. lhoward

lhoward Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a Levy M4GF 3 1/2" suede strap (from a family owned store in Erie, PA, "World of Music") on a couple heavier basses which tend to have a neck dive problem. A custom fretless and a Travis Bean TB2000. I also got a Levy 3 1/2" MS4 in the last month. Everytime I need a quality strap, Levy has so far filled the need.

I haven't found a 4" strap yet locally, but would consider trying one. I'll look at Levy's website, but I like to see and handle a strap first before laying out upwards of $50 or $60 for it, which I don't mind if it suits my needs.

Lloyd Howard
  16. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

+1 Moody or Italia as long as it's suede inside.

Ultralite tuners can have a huge impact on neck dive..
  17. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Confort Strap Hands Down
  18. xgator4u

xgator4u

Planet waves 3" with pad, very comfortable, NO neck dive. and I play some neck divers.
  19. sutarappa

sutarappa Supporting Member

yep. i use it. nice price, also.

Planet waves 3" bass strap
  20. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    I have also had luck moving the strap button to the top inside side of the top horn. That pulls the neck up.
    Having a good strap is important, no matter what bass you own but that does not really help with neck dive. The suggestions that nukes_da_bass or I will help getting the bass to balance comfortably.
  21. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the input! Please keep it coming - I'm going to order tonight.