best strap? Revo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I've just been using my Lakland strap for years.
    Lost it.

So---looking for a comfortable wide strap.

I was looking at the Revo straps--any opinions?

2. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

Depends... Are you looking for the best strap for metal? (sorry... I just had to) :bag:

If money is no object, try a Moody strap. Softest leather ever.

I have a couple of Jodi Head custom straps that are wonderful - a little more flashy, but really comfortable.

Levy's cotton straps are great for adjusting length on the fly. The D-ring is usually pretty smooth and holds well.

I have a Comfort Strapp around somewhere. Tried it; didn't care for it. It's also very short - and I've been told it's the longer one, too.

Good luck with your search...

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Warhawk

Warhawk

I recently picked up a Levy's 4-inch wide padded leather strap and it's super comfortable and beautifully made. Makes my 10 pound L-2000 feel like it's half that weight.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1. I've been using a Levy's 4" for a while now, they're inexpensive and well made.

I wanted to get a Moody, but I've heard that it's not the same owner and they aren't putting out the same quality strap they used to.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Moved to Miscellaneous.

I really like my Mono Betty straps, but have no idea if they are the "best." I didn't want to get leather.

9. funkybass

funkybass

On the cheaper side I love the neotech mega bass strap for $30. I also love the levys 4 1/2 inch wide bass strap for $75.

10. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

11. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

I would like to try one of these -- either the Super Bass strap or the longer, slightly wider, Mega Bass strap. The first is adjustable from 33"-42", the second from 43" on up. I measured my 2" suede strap from hole-center to hole center and, as I typically wear it, it's right on 42". I'd like a little room to adjust in either direction. Has anyone bought the longer, Mega strap and successfully shortened it a bit by cutting/re-stitching?

I called the company and got to talk to someone quickly (a plus). He confirmed that the measurement was center-to-center. I suggested including a little overlap in the adjustment range between models. I guess I know what would be involved in altering the strap, just curious if anyone else has done it.

Of course, I could simply buy a strap that fits to start!

12. MarkA

Found a decent price on a 3.5" Levy's leather and suede strap on Amazon. I'm right in the middle of its adjustment range so I ordered that. Will see how it works out!

13. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I have two 4" leather straps made by a local craftsman. Best straps I've ever seen - beautiful hand stitching, embroidered patterns and lovely soft leather - cost about $45 and worth every cent.

14. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

I've never heard of Revo straps until I read your thread and looked them up on the net. They are made of wood!

They look really nice! But...............I'd be concerned about it dinging up my bass with the strap banging up against the finish.

A personal opinion on strap width. I find 3 inch straps to be the best. With 2 1/2" too narrow and 4" straps too wide with too much leather laying on me.

I think any high quality leather strap will do. ITALIA is USA made and high quality at a very decent price.

If one wants to spend the bucks, there are some really nice exotic hand made and hand tooled leather straps available. A $300 strap?

Good luck finding something that you like.

15. MarkA

Finding someone local to make something hadn't occurred to me. $45 is a bargain for that kind of work.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To me, the "best strap" (a phrase with no meaning) has three characteristics:

1) Suede backed to prevent slipping
    2) Wide (3" minimum)
    3) Long enough to position the bass where I like it

17. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Another +1

Can't go wrong with the Neotech stuff. Most comfortable strap I've used in 22 years of bass playing.

18. MarkA

I've got a 3.5", suede-backed Levy's on the way because the length was right. Might still have to try a Neotech sometime, but I think I'd have to alter the long strap (see post #10). My most comfortable strap now is a 2.5" suede (used skinny nylon straps before that) so I'm sure whatever I get will feel like a huge upgrade.

19. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Add me to the list of Neotech fanbois.

The standard length works for me. The Mega was too long, as I wear the bass pretty high.

20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
  21. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Yeah, those Mono Bettys are very comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the giant "MONO" lettering! I keep thinking somebody who has never heard of them will think I have mono(nucleosis)! ;) But I just turn the strap inside out so it doesn't show...