Best strings for Fender Am Dlx Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nikus, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

I have read so many threads about this subject, my heads is about to blow up ;)

I just bought a brand new Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V and am currently using the strings that came with the guitar. I am not going to say I do not like them (I think they are Fender strings, correct?), but I do not love them either.

I play rock mostly and only use finger-style. I love punchy but very defined sound with a tight low end.

Which strings would you recommend for this bass? I just got the Fender couple of days ago. I used to own a Carvin LB75 but no matter what I put on that bass, nothing sounded good to me :(

Any opinions, feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

I actually use Circle K strings in mine. At first I was using the balanced .142 set tuned to standard but now that im tuned down a whole step in use the ,158 set. I really like these strings a lot. They are a nickel/steel hybrid and sound pretty much exactly like that. Nice beefy low end, a little bit of sizzle on the high end, but not too much, just the right amount. I also have yet to find a set of strings that have a higher output, these things really sing with a Jazz bass! They really sit well in the mix for my purposes (prog metal band with 2 guitards and keys) and the overall feel and tension are just perfect for me, not to mention that they last longer than any other strings I have tried. Give them a shot, you won't be sorry.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I would start cheap and work your way up towards boutique. I have used almost every uncoated string out there and ended up back at D'Addario XL Nickels (the tension matched sets) on my jazz bass which are half the price of the boutique brands. DR Fatbeams also sound really great on jazz basses.

4. JLP

JLP

DR Fatbeams also sound really great on jazz basses.
    I have a Jazz V and have used several brands. I think the fat beams sound the best

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

That's what DR suggested when I called them this morning, but I wanted to see what you all have to say.

Thanks for the input so far.

7. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Well, after few months of playing the DR FatBeams I decided I needed something with more warmth.

I have ordered two sets of strings (both nickel) with priority delivery:

Fender 8250M
    DR Lo-Riders Nickel

Which one would you recommend I try first? What are the main differences between these two?

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Well, since you've already ordered them, it really doesn't matter which set you try first, does it? I mean, you'll check out each set soon enough, right?

As to the main differences, same answer. The best input is going to come from your own ears - not from someone else's preconceived ideas of what they think your bass will sound like, with you playing it, through your rig.

As for the Fat Beams, it's very surprising that anyone would find them insufficiently warm. They are plenty warm for me. Maybe you just don't like stainless steel strings.

Have you not considered DR Sunbeams? If you like the feel & playability of Fat Beams, but want even more warmth, Sunbeams might be just the ticket.

MM

9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I love old Fender 8250 they are like the perfect string for through body jazz basses! very warm and just feel perfect! but the new ones that are now made by d'addario are pretty terrible. I dont even think they are roundcore anymore like they used to be...and the taper is off so it gets fat before it even reaches the saddle....they are much stiffer too and dont sound as full.

MysticMike knows his strings!!! If you like DR and want more warmth try sunbeams! They sounded a bit dead on the bass I tried them on...but I am getting a Nash today so might try them on it since I only have about an hour on the strings.

I also have a new pack of fatbeams I am dying to try....but hate having the pack of sunbeams just sitting there already used and not used enough!

I am in the opposite boat I just got an old SVT2 non pro and its a deeper toned amp then I am used to so trying to get some more brightness from my strings.....hence the fatbeams!

10. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Did you buy the Ash/Maple or Alder/Rosewood?

I put TI Jazz Flats on my Alder/Rosewood.

If I had a Ash/Maple I'd most definetily put a set of Hi Beams on it.

11. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

I got the 3 color sunburst which is Alder/Rosewood. I like warm sound but flats would probably be too much for the style music we are playing.

12. peterpalmieri

13. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Style of what? Music played? If so: rock and country mainly.

14. peterpalmieri

For what it's worth I love the TI flats, they are growly and even sound overdriven when you favor the neck pickup and dig in close to the neck. More clear with the pickups centered or favoring the bridge. I think they are killer rock strings for this bass. They also slap pretty darn nicely for flats.

Last night I put on a set of DR Hi Beams, I am letting them settle on the bass but right now not a big fan super bright, not a great burp when favoring the bridge, a bit dull when favoring the neck. Pretty tin sounding all on and slap was to hollow for my liking but maybe they will settle.

A few nights ago I tried a set of DR SunBeams, loved the bridge pick up burp and a nice grindy jazz sound with both pickups. The slap sound was not good. Thus far my second choice for this bass.

I just ordered a set of TI Jazz rounds, gonna give that a shot. It's a bit of an expensive experiment.

I also have Sadowsky Blue Steels and DR Low Rider Stainless that I have not tried yet, but based on the other strings I don't think I will bother.

Right now as it stands with the current strings I've tried 100% TI flats have been just awesome. There is a wide varity of tones that all sound good and usable to me.

I did breifly have the stock strings on the bass, but honestly can't remember much to comment. Should also note, the bass has the Fender N3 pickups with an Aguilar OB1 wired V/V/T/B no tone control or active passive switch. With a VTC I may have had a little more flexibility rolling off the top of the Hi Beams.

I'm hoping the TI jazz rounds give me a bit more burp on the bridge and a little more overall grind, if they can do that and retain all the other aspects of the jazz flats it will be a homerun.

15. peterpalmieri

The hi beams don't work played them for 5 minutes tonight before I couldn't take it. Switched to the sun beams and they were ok. Very happy to have the TI flats back on.

I'll update when the jazz rounds arrive.

16. DeaconK

DeaconK

TI Jazz Flats on mine. Love 'em!

17. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    depending on how much upper mids your bass produces, I have found using Boomer mediums on a maple neck or B-52's on rosewood neck sound VERY nice....just another thought...

18. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

First, I had FatBeams on my bass and I liked them a lot but not loved them as I had to dial in bass too much to often. So I switched all the way to DR Lo-Riders Nickels and ... to be honest, not liking them too much.

I had pro put them on and set the bass up properly who at the end told me the FatBeams were literally done (I could sense they lost their life) due to my acidic hands. Now, I am looking into Elixirs but can't decide which I would most likely prefer tonally: SS or Nickels?

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

19. low_E

low_E

I got an american standard jazz 4 string somewhat recently and I liked the strings that came with it (fender 8250M). They were very sensitive to the volume knobs and I could get a nice sound I liked by rolling off the bridge pickup a bit.

Then I put some d'addario chromes on it 50-105 and played that for about a month. I didn't like how it numbed out the change in tone when I rolled off the volume and they sound a bit midrange-y for me even with my amp mids rolled off. They did get a better as time when on.

A few days ago I put some LaBella 0760M on 52-110 and I am in love. I was going for stu brooks' tone from this video and I got close enough without tuning down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxwRcWv32I these are the strings he uses but he plays a AtelierZ bass with Aguilar J70 Pickups and tunes C G D G. Another good thing about the labellas is that they feel good right away not sticky for a while like the chromes.

I might try TIs next but I don't think I'm gonna get better than these deep talkin bass! I also really like the higher tension. I had to adjust the truss rod when I put the chromes on but didn't need to change it again for the labella. I was able to lower the action a little more with the labella to 3/32" for the E string without buzzing. Not sure why that can go lower than the chromes when I didn't have to change the truss but I like it and the 1/32 makes a big difference.

The deluxe V might be a lot different as well as your own personal tastes but I thought I would share my experience.