1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Best strings for Höfner CT Verythin bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DWLANG, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    I just added a Höfner Contemporary Verythin bass to the collection, and was wondering if anybody had advice as to the best strings on it (or any short-scale hollowbody) ?

Flats?

My preferred amp is a Fender Bassman TV15 (no horn), so I don't want to go w/ anything that would be too "muddy" sounding

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    Do you want deep and thumpy and warm with very little growl? Or something more bright? Tapewounds and flatwounds are generally the idea choice for shortscale hollowbodies.

3. Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats 32 inch, would be my first suggestion, or Pyramid Gold flats short scale. Classic tone, first rate strings.

4. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Def. don't want "tinny" sound w/ lots of finger noise, so rounds are probably out...

Maybe I split the difference and go w/ halfrounds?

5. Sponsored by:

6. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I've never liked them. They always seemed sticky to me. Halfwounds are good in theory, but personally I've never like the feel or sound of them. Tapewounds, in my opinion, are fantastic. Labella just came out with "white" tapewounds that are actually clear. Brighter than regular tapewounds, super smooth, and zero finger noise. Those, regular tapewounds, or a good set of flats are the way to go.

7. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
  8. +1

9. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I use med. Scale Chromes. They sound good and fit the bass nicely.

10. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I recommend Pyramid flats...nothing else nails that classic Hofner tone in my experience.

11. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    LOVE your avatar!

GORN RULE!

12. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Went with rounds since my Fender Bassman TV15 doesnt have a horn and didnt want to end up w/ too muddy a sound.

Gigged w/ the Höfner Verythin through a my Bassman TV10 last night for two shows at a Chicago suburban pizza joint...three hours of Beatles music and it sounded pretty good!

A tad muddy on the open E string though, so I'm going to A / B an Ampeg Portaflex PF350 head powering a PF210 cab (love the fliptop concept) and see how it goes...

13. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Do you need medium scale or standard scale strings?

14. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    If you want to try something different in the future I second Pyramid flats. Great sound, and the feel is soooo smooth.

LaBella flats sound great also, but don't feel quite as good as Pyramids.

15. ojakov

ojakov

Nov 16, 2011
    Good evening, folks!

Just received Pyramid Golds short scale from Chicago Music Exchange from my Hofner Verythin.
    The strings are little too short :(
    Something like 1/2 - 3/4 inches short. Is that a this particular set which is not long enough and I wasn't lucky?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  16. Gorn Captain

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I'm fairly sure you need medium scales strings even though it's a short scale bass because of the tailpiece. I know that's the case with Hofner violin and club basses. I have no experience with the verythin.

17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I'm afraid you simply bought the wrong length for the application. Pyramid short scale strings are actually longish as far as SS go, since they are meant to fit violin basses with their trapeze tailpiece. Bad news is, apparently (don't have one, just eyeballing it from the product page pic) the Verythin has its tailpiece even further from the bridge. You definitely need at least medium scale strings - Pyramid doesn't make them. Good news is, long scale sets fit just fine on your bass (which gives you a very wide range of choices), at least LS strings from most manufacturers (some of them may be too long, the E might wrap on the tuner full-thickness and break).
    Check this out:
    Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from BassStringsOnline.com
    No, Pyramid isn't there. You could contact them and have them confirm their long scale is ok on your bass. After all they have a long-standing connection with Hofner.
    PYRAMID maximum performance strings - Kontaktformular, Saiten- und Stimmpfeifenfabrik, Bubenreuth, Erlangen, Feedback
    Or ask Basstringsonline.

18. ojakov

ojakov

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks, guys. You are exactly right.
    After some research I've figured out that Contemporary Verythin basses (like the one I have) are equipped with short tailpiece.
    I guess I'll just try to exchange the short scale set to long scale and see how it goes.
    The longs scale Pyramids have slightly thicker gauge on E and A though, do you think it will make any tonal difference?

19. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Hard to say. Probably not dramatic anyway (±.005 is much less meaningful for an E than for a G). IIRC some people report short scale Pyramid Golds as having a deader E than the rest out of the box - not uncommon with flat sets, probably catering to expectations of the average buyer (thumping root notes, clearer G-D for the occasional run higher up the staff). I have used the A and E together at one time (had ordered them as singles) and can attest to them being...on the dark side tonally but can't remember if to different degrees. Nor do I have experience with the long scales. I'd expect the LS set to be very balanced tensionwise (.040 .055 .075 .105 looks like a great combination), maybe a smidge more note definition? It could be either way really, there's probably wiggle room for the manufacturer to get both darker or clearer out of a .005 increment, by juggling of core-to-wrap ratio, gauge of the ribbon wrap and such.
    Please report back - I've moved away from Pyramids for my present needs but I liked them for what they do.

20. ojakov

ojakov

Nov 16, 2011
    The long scale worked perfectly!!
    I had to pay for one day shipping, because I have a gig tomorrow. It's totally worth it!
    [​IMG]

HaphAsSard likes this.
  21. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    BTW...I've been using the TI Jazz Flats now on all of my Höfners...500/1 '63 Reissue, Galaxie, 500/5 President, and two 500/7 Verythins (sunburst and brand spanking new RED), and I love 'em!