Best strings for Höfner CT Verythin bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DWLANG, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DWLANG

DWLANG

I just added a Höfner Contemporary Verythin bass to the collection, and was wondering if anybody had advice as to the best strings on it (or any short-scale hollowbody) ?

Flats?

My preferred amp is a Fender Bassman TV15 (no horn), so I don't want to go w/ anything that would be too "muddy" sounding
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Do you want deep and thumpy and warm with very little growl? Or something more bright? Tapewounds and flatwounds are generally the idea choice for shortscale hollowbodies.
  3. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats 32 inch, would be my first suggestion, or Pyramid Gold flats short scale. Classic tone, first rate strings.
  4. DWLANG

DWLANG

Def. don't want "tinny" sound w/ lots of finger noise, so rounds are probably out...

Maybe I split the difference and go w/ halfrounds?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've never liked them. They always seemed sticky to me. Halfwounds are good in theory, but personally I've never like the feel or sound of them. Tapewounds, in my opinion, are fantastic. Labella just came out with "white" tapewounds that are actually clear. Brighter than regular tapewounds, super smooth, and zero finger noise. Those, regular tapewounds, or a good set of flats are the way to go.
  7. DWLANG

DWLANG

8. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

+1
  9. hotbass57

hotbass57

I use med. Scale Chromes. They sound good and fit the bass nicely.
  10. gary m

gary m

I recommend Pyramid flats...nothing else nails that classic Hofner tone in my experience.
  11. DWLANG

DWLANG

LOVE your avatar!

GORN RULE!
  12. DWLANG

DWLANG

Went with rounds since my Fender Bassman TV15 doesnt have a horn and didnt want to end up w/ too muddy a sound.

Gigged w/ the Höfner Verythin through a my Bassman TV10 last night for two shows at a Chicago suburban pizza joint...three hours of Beatles music and it sounded pretty good!

A tad muddy on the open E string though, so I'm going to A / B an Ampeg Portaflex PF350 head powering a PF210 cab (love the fliptop concept) and see how it goes...
  13. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Do you need medium scale or standard scale strings?
  14. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

If you want to try something different in the future I second Pyramid flats. Great sound, and the feel is soooo smooth.

LaBella flats sound great also, but don't feel quite as good as Pyramids.