BEST STRINGS FOR ROCK MUSIC?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PBASSIST1, Dec 11, 2012.

1. PBASSIST1

PBASSIST1

A post on www.GigGear.co.uk said that Rotosound Swing Bass 66's strings give the best sound for Rock Music but I also know that Ernie Ball's are very popular, what do you guys think? Thanks?
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

It depends on what sound you hear and want for the music you play. I play Rock and have 3 different sets of strings on 3 different basses. You make them work, you serve the song. GigGear is also an English magazine, where Roto's are made. Roto's are a very Iconic string, I use and love them. But won't say they are the best for rock. There are just too many good strings out there now.
  3. dalkowski

dalkowski

^^^ This. So many choices, all worthy. I rocked GHS Bass Boomers in my rock days.
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

These kinds of question allways baffle my mind. Players with no clue at all of the many diff strings being used by pros for each music style. There never has been and never will be a single best string for any genre of music.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Given the versatility of roundwound strings, just about any set of them is a good place to start.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1
  8. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

There is no best. There should be a ban on questions like this.
  9. mcm

mcm

Chromes chromes chromes
  10. AJMiller

AJMiller

If anyone hasn't tried the Cobalt Super Slinkys, I highly recommend it.
  11. Ezmar

Ezmar

What are the Best Strings For Rock Music For Metal?
  12. soulman969

soulman969

+1. It's puzzling to me why questions like this are even asked.

The only best is the one that sounds best to the individual playing it on their bass through their amp. There is no other answer.
  13. Ezmar

Ezmar

Exactly. I have Hi Beams on now, just trying them, after hearing about how nice they are. I like them, but they're not my Rotos, which I vastly prefer.the DRs just don't sound right to me.
  14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Try as many different strings and types (flat, round, 1/2 round etc) as you can, and then you decide what is best for you...;)

Good Luck!
  15. jet_king

jet_king

I use GHS BOOMERS MEDIUM Gauge strings on my jazz and they do great. Very versatile with tones. Slap,rock,picking ect.
  16. robd

robd Supporting Member

you cant use a jazz bass for rock, you have to use a rock bass, with rotosounds for rock.... jazz basses are only for playing jazz and maybe fusion...get with the program
  17. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Maybe he doesn’t play rock or is just starting or just wants to hear other opinions. People slamming simple questions are more puzzling to me than any honest question. If I open up a thread and I find the question rhetorical or just ridiculous I just close it and move on.

I play rock and I use different strings on different basses and for different tunings. Rounds in general and steel I like the most. I always go back to DRs though..
  18. Kenzy

Kenzy

I'm a big fan of D'Addario ProSteels Super Bright Round Wounds, personally. They're great if you're going for a really bright, punchy tone and they sound beautiful on my Deluxe Jazz.

But string choice, as everyone's saying, really just comes down to personal preference. But I would definitely check out these strings, I'm kind of in love with them...