1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Teaching Video?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Bobbiedee, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Bobbiedee

Bobbiedee

I am just getting started with bass and would like some at home instruction in the bluegrass style by way of DVD videos. I've seen some out there...Mark Schatz, Murphy Henry, and a couple others I don't remember. Are there some that are better than others? Keep in mind, I'm a banjo player (20 years) and understand a lot about music theory. I made myself a chart and plastered it to the side of my Kay to help out, and can play the basic 1 - 5 on each chord, but obviously there's a lot more to learn. I would love to hear your advice on what to buy and what not to buy in instructional videos. Thanks and God bless!
  2. ttreppa

ttreppa

I've used DVDs by Mark Schatz, Todd Phillips, and Barry Bales. All of these players are excellent and give excellent advise. I too play the banjo and have taken up the bass because our jam did not have a bass.
    Two things I've learned - keep it simple and the bass is the "bus driver." It is up to the bass to keep the music together assuming that the others listen to the bass. This means that the bass player must be awake and right in the moment. No snoozing. :rollno:
    Terry Treppa
  3. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

I like the one from Todd Phillips. I have beginner and intermediate. Not sure if there is an advanced. I bought it for general info on left hand technique.
  4. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

All three of those are great! Also there is the artist works bass school and I've been spending a lot of time on Geoff Chalmers Discover double bass. Com very good site with great explanations on all the lessons one of my new favorite players.
  5. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

I should also mention that Discover double bass . Com is free which is unbelievable for what you are getting.
  6. bassist1962

bassist1962

Also - Become A Bassist.