Best tone I've ever heard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Premoose, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Premoose

Premoose

I didn't think it was possible, but I've found a bass tone I like better than Meshuggah's bass tone. Mainly because it's slap bass. As a bonus it's on nifty bass. A Warmoth Gecko. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, so does anyone know how he achieves this amazing slap metal tone? The song opens with it so you get to hear it fully.

2. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

I would say with a lot of gain a lot of treble and. Man what is this band called

3. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Sounds to me like a heck of a lotta high mids and distortion. To me it sounds like a guitar pedal used for bass, really.

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Sounds like one of these:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Maybe I just don't understand the genre but all I heard was a big huge wall of noise. Yea the players seemed to be very talented but I didn't hear anything musical.

7. dreads311

dreads311

That is indeed a sick tone! However, I will say, IMO of course, that tone is only as good as it's context. Take Ryan Martinie (clangy crunch tone) and Stuart Zender (warm buttermilk tone) for instance. Polar opposite tones yet awesome tones in their proper settings. What's good for Meshuggah or Mudvayne would sound terrible on Jamiroquai and visa versa. Personally, I go for splitting the difference. Cool vid!

8. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

A rule of thumb I learned as a guitarist: the best distorted tones come from the bridge pup. It's true, too. Really noticeable because of the way the string moves (more travel at the neck makes for a softer sound.
    Solo'd bridge j pups sound nice for slap, and for metal... at least I think so.
    Maybe that will get you started.

9. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

I wonder if he is splitting his signal off and sending upper mids and highs to a guitar signal chain and running his effects on that, while sending the rest of his signal to a bass rig. Looks like he is using digital stuff and that would make a split signal chain fairly easy. I tink dUg Pinnick does that, or used to do that.

10. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Dank-dank-diggi-dank-dank-diggi-dank-diggi-diggi-dank-dank-diggi-giggedy-dank

Chugga-chugga chugga-chugga-chug-chugga

11. therhodeo

therhodeo

ROOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGG

I always wanted to be a vocalist. :D

12. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Go for it. All you need is a good set of lungs and some healthy inspiration: