1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best tuner pedal for 5 string?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nukes_da_bass, Jan 21, 2014.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Ok so im not an effects guy so ill thank you all in advance for allowing a "plug and play" dinosaur like me to pick your pedal genius brains.
    So my R&B band did some recording this weekend and I performed epic fail bringing one of those clip on tuner toys.
    Guitard saved my @ss with what appeared to be a Boss inline optical guitar tuner pedal but like most tuning pedals It didnt like my low B.
    What can I find for $150 or less that will tune me accurately including my B string?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers!
    Nukes
  2. LowLife350

LowLife350

Disclosures:
    none
    If you do not need am always on tuner, the Turbo Tuner is hard to beat. $130 and tracks my low A as well as it does my high F.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

TC Polytune rules all. Use the leftover money for another pedal :)
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Turbo Tuner
    Pitchblack
    Polytune

In that order - with the Turbo being the best, but most expensive, and the Pitchblack being the least expensive of the 3... A good Pitchblack can be had for $40 or less on GC's used gear pages - that's tough to beat, IMO...

- georgetrings
  5. therhodeo

therhodeo

I have 2 of the planet waves clip on tuners. They track perfectly on my MTD Kingston 5 but not so much on my SBMM Ray 35. Guess which one has the best b string?
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Awesome! Turbotuner sounds like a clear leader.
    This is one of the things I love about. TB- lay experts whom have field tested tons of gear, info and technique!
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yep - I got a new one for $47.95 (on sale).
  9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

It's what I use (the mini) and it handles my P-Bass DAEA tuning just fine. Very reliable and easy to see, plus it doubles as a mute switch (I place it at the end of my chain for a master mute switch)
  10. grumpyfunk

grumpyfunk Supporting Member

Another vote for the turbo tuner, the fastest tracking on the B string of all the tuners I've tried.
  11. el murdoque

el murdoque

i recently switched from clip tuner to pedal for the same reason - my B string was hard to track for the clip on and i usually tuned it by ear.
    I got me a pitchblack and could not want any more from a tuning pedal. It tracks fast,
    even the b string, and when i pluck the next string without stopping the string that's still ringing, it even gets that. Comfortable and cheap. Plus, it works as a mute switch and looks nice.
  12. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

LOVE my Turbo Tuner! I am strictly a 5 string player and this tuner is a beast! Fast, accurate, easy to see. Money well spent...:bassist:
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I love my Polytune Mini. It's tiny and tracks down to a low Gb.

The Boss TU-2 is the only tuner I've had that didn't track a low B.
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Pitchblack here.
  15. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

TC Electronic Polytune. Works fantastic for me...though sometimes it doesn't pick up the low B in poly mode.
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

The new Polytune 2 is even faster than the original Polytune, and that's saying something! The display is much brighter also, looks great even outside.
  17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Get a Zoom Ms-60B. You will get a great tuner and a decent effects pedal with some nice amp models as well. Even if all you use is the compressor and a few of the amp models it is an option to consider. The tuner tracks pretty well.
  18. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

To put out another inexpensive option...
    I am blind, so cannot see how well it works, but one of my mates (guitar) really likes how well my Snark SN10 works on a 5er.
  19. SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

I use my trustworthy pitchblack over the year... sold it and replace it with Zoom MS-60B (space-wise)
  20. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Poly tune here too