1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best TV for a ps4?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

Ok its time i bought a new TV and i'm also looking to get a ps4 around the same time.

TV's now seem to be centred around 100hz v 200hz LEDs, also Sony have a term called motion flow, the higher the better they say and you pay more, and there's a different of around a grand extra for the 200hz and then theres the plasma's still being sold by panasonic which are about the same price as the 200hz LED.

The LEDs chew up about half the juice as a plasma

Any one know about the above, any advice?

Edit, i dont need anything bigger then a 50 or 55 inch and cant afford a Ultra HD and i know how to setup a good surround sound amp
  2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

I'd look at Samsung. They seem to have display technology well under control.
  3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Make sure it's 4K also called Ultra HD since the PS4 can do that. You'll want it sooner or later.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

4K is expensive and not being utilised much, let alone by TV channels or next gen consoles. Will it become common? Probably. But I doubt it'll displace 1080p within the next 5 years.

4K comes with a big increase in cost, big increase in data required and minimal improvement in image quality.

Samsung make some nice sets, I have a Samsung LED, it's nice. Sony and LG also make nice sets.

Don't get too caught up in all the 100Hz, 200Hz or 1,000,000Hz stuff. Most broadcast signals (I think there have been a few exceptions, some trials on some sports channels) and the signal from your console isn't going to be near that, all you'll be doing is refreshing the same image a few times. Does it make it crisper? Debatable IMHO.

Go to a store that sells TVs and have a look around and a play around with them if you can.

Edit - Also, when it comes to Plasma vs LCD/LED, the Plasma screens are a more mature tech but the biggest bonus is that you get a truer black than you do with an LCD/LED, as some of the backlight will still sneak through. Though it isn't a major issue and each iteration gets better at concealing the backlight.

What size are you aiming for, are you interested in 3D (not my thing but I know many folks are quite keen on it) and what budget do you have to work with?
  5. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

I bought a new TV show his summer. I usually lean towards Samsung and Sony. Ended up with a vizio m series. Great picture and features. For the price, the Sammy and Sony would have been a lot more for less TV. Vizio is really upping their game for a budget brand.
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Don't think I've ever seen a Vizio branded TV (or anything for that matter). Is it a US company?
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

My mom owns a Vizio 50'' and it's awesome. I plan on buying one for my town home whenever the TV sales happen during Super Bowl time.
  8. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Pretty sure they are a Korean company. They make a great sound bar too, wireless sub and 2 rears that hook up to it.
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Looks like its a US company based in Cali. Looks like they are fairly uncommon outside of the US.

Wireless surround is awesome, my LG setup has wireless rear speakers, talk about easy setup with no mess!
  10. dullsilver_mike

dullsilver_mike Supporting Member

Is the PS4 actually going to have any games that output video at something higher than 60hz? What you get with the 240hz TVs (I have one and don't always mind this) is a processed effect, not a higher level of fidelity. It's just inventing its own frames to fit in between the real ones when you leave this processing on.

I think a lot of people call it the "soap opera effect," because it often makes 24fps film look like video.
  11. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Your telling me, I used to run a 7.1 system. Took me a couple days to get it set up. Had to move to a smaller place out of state and sold it. Still miss it.
  12. tplyons

tplyons

I just picked up a Samsung 5000 series.

120Hz refresh won't do you any bit of good for console gaming and might actually make it seem clunky. 60Hz is the way to go for console gaming.

Also the 5000 series over the 5300 and I can get away from the smart TV features. I'm running an Xbox One but I'm assuming the PS4 is similar as far being a total entertainment console. Can save a few bucks by not getting features you don't need.
  13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Depends on budget... and how much you care about I.Q. and features. IMO, If you can find a Panasonic VT or ZT60, you'd be in great shape. Those approach Kuro quality for image and have a good set of features.
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It sometimes doesn't hurt to have a backup for smart applications. For some annoying reason Netflix on the PS4 doesn't output 5.1 on my setup (even though everything else on the console does fine). Though I do use it from the home cinema box and it works perfectly fine.

Plus it seems to be fairly standard these days.

Though I'm in total agreement on the refresh rates not being worth the extra hassle. It reminds me of the mega pixel wars digital cameras had, bigger numbers are easier to sell than image quality, which can be harder to quantify on a sign.
  15. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

16. Purplefowler

Purplefowler

I love my samsung tvs, great colour and depth, super sharp and my ps4 looks great through it. My only complaint is that it can be a little quiet. It is a 6000 series but I was very tempted to upgrade to a 8000 series one that I saw in the shop. It was really, really good! My mum has a Panasonic and a sony and neither are a patch on my samsung (second one I've had in a row!).
  17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

With the size of modern TVs, quality sound is going to be one of the biggest issues. Would definately recommend having a look at external speakers, a sound bar can make a world of difference if you can't fit or don't want a full surround setup.
  18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I don't think sound bars are a must, but they can certainly add a lot more girth, punch, and depth to the sound.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I wouldn't say they are a must, more that it's something to take into consideration, given how thin TV's are becoming, plus the diminishing size of surrounding frame, the sound quality takes a hit.

Heck, I was happy enough most of the past couple years with my LED screen on its own, but having a home theatre setup has made a world of difference.

If I was putting together a new setup from scratch today, I'd save money by avoiding the big number advertising stuff and use that towards improving the sound - is more what I'm getting towards.
  20. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Also, realize, any T.V. you buy, you'll want calibrated when you receive it. Most stores have them in "torch" mode out of the box, which looks like total crap for the most part.