Best upgrade from strange fender pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoogieWoogie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. BoogieWoogie

BoogieWoogie

Hello all,

Here's the situation. I have a fender performer bass that I'm in love with the exception of the very low amount of signal it pumps out. The stock pups are two single coils like I've never seen before. White diamond shape things. Like I said I love the design of the bass with the strange angles and narrow neck but the sound isn't usable on stage, just doesn't cut through so I must resort to the Gibson G-3 always for shows.

Naturally the first thing that comes to mind is to add a preamp. However I would much rather stay passive. And of course I could get an eq pedal or boost pedal but I have a feeling that isn't going to satisfy me.
    What I would like to do is upgrade the pickups for a better more powerful sound. Does this sound like something different pickups could fix?

So if I could get some input on different PASSIVE bass pickups/ setups that could possibly help me get the sound I need on stage.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

never heard of the Performer so I looked it up. From what I just read, if I had one and it was in decent original condition I'd leave it that way and get something outboard to boost my signal or get another bass to do what I needed it to do.

Apparently the Performer was made in very small numbers and collectors are starting to sniff them out. Good examples have been bringing in excess of a grand on the bay these days. Hold it another 10 years and who knows what it might be worth.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What are the measurements between the two screw holes?
  4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

You shouldn't modify that bass. As I recall, they weren't huge sellers, but the ones I played in the '80's sounded great. They are pretty unique and as mentioned above, there aren't a million of them around. Get an outboard preamp, if you need more from it. Keep the bass stock.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grissle

Grissle

Get a nice outboard preamp pedal like Sadowsky, Tonehammer or Markbass. Or you could go onboard? I don't think adding a preamp will hurt its future value.
  7. TimboZ

TimboZ

Whats it look like under the pickguard? Is there room to put different pickups in without routing out the body. If so get a new pickguard made and put some other pickups in it.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

To me it looks like you could put a couple single coil P pickups in it with no modification. They may even fit under the covers. I would use a set of noiseless like the Frailns or Duncan Custom Shop because it would not be hum canceling with both pick ups on, unless you could find two single coils that were RWRP
  9. Cadfael

Cadfael

I agree with Stone Soup ...

This seems to be a Performer 555 from (about) 1985 ...
    I have its wiring diagram in my compilation ...

This is a unique Fender bass with TBX plus tone control.
    Your children will curse you modifying this bass!

Cable as short as possible and then some kind of preamp if the signal is too low. An equalizer pedal might already fullfill the needs (just boosting the whole signal).
  10. BoogieWoogie

BoogieWoogie

Wow thanks for all the replies.

Like I said I really like the way this bass feels and I haven't seen any other basses designed like it. I've tried to consider selling but would rather put it to use on the road.
    I don't intend to modify anything I can't return to stock. With the exception of new pickup mounting holes. Unless I find a perfect fitting replacement, the stock measurement I got was 4 1/8" on center from screw to screw.
    That being said I plan to make a (mostly)clear pick guard to house the new pickups and to show off that beautiful sunburst that has been hiding for so long. But that's a whole different thread itself.
  11. Dave Bassincus

Dave Bassincus

What about a pickup rewind from a reputable builder?
  12. BoogieWoogie

BoogieWoogie

Having troubles uploading a pic of the actual guitar but this might give an idea of the amount of space under the guard.

[​IMG]
  13. BoogieWoogie

BoogieWoogie

I was considering this earlier today, any good recommendations?
  14. JustForSport

JustForSport

A different pickguard with choice of single coils and controls installed would allow a return to original very easily.
    Or a couple single coils that fit under those covers will allow the originals to be replaced at a later date.
  15. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Seymour Duncan Custom Shop can rewind those hotter or to any voicing requsted for about $75 each. Maybe less.
  16. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Before doing anything else, google 'Redeemer' circuit. Its basically a booster circuit that can go right into the bass and can easily be reversed later. It doesn't alter your signal in any way like a preamp would, it simply amplifies (and clarifies) the existing signal that the pickups are already putting out.
  17. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

That redeemer circuit is pretty cool!
  18. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Modify the bass for alltruistic reasons. You made the remaining stock Fender Performer basses go up in price!

I'm sure Curtis Novak or similar could wind a pickup to custom specs that would fit those covers...
  19. BoogieWoogie

BoogieWoogie

My serious considerations are the SCPB-3 by duncan or the stacked version to satisfy my want of hum cancelling. or...has anyone ever use any guitar rail pickups in basses? Ive read probably every post about it on here but theyre mostly all relating to the musicmaster and bronce short scale basses. Would say a Dimarzio Fast track work for me?
    No modifications involved other than wiring...just curious.
  20. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I have used the single coil sized rail humbuckers(intended for guitar) in basses. The main two concerns are if they are wide enough, and that they aren't voiced quite like regular bass pickups. The ones I used were hot as hell, and could really drive a distortion pedal. I liked the sound though, and I mostly kept the tone rolled off to deal with the extra highs.

-Jake

Also, I just went and measured my remaining one(Duncan Performer), and it has a rail length of about 2 1/4". You would want this to be slightly wider than your string width were you are putting it.