Best USB interface for recording bass in Ableton Live?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SouthTunnel, Mar 31, 2014.

1. SouthTunnel

SouthTunnel

2. Doublesixes

Doublesixes

Back in 2011 I bought an IK Multimedia Stealth Plug. It was OK until the whole interface fell apart because the cables wore out and eventually failed. I tried soldering the loose cables but couldn't because everything is so tiny inside the housing. It included lots of software but for the price and reliability, I wouldn't recommend it.
  3. DanielJR

DanielJR

I recently switched from a cheaper MBox Fast Track to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and I'm super happy with it. I use it for both input and output (my powered speakers are connected to it). Link to Audiofanzine review

My favorite feature is the Input/Playback blend control. I have some latency in my setup, so if I try to monitor my bass while recording in my DAW program, there's a slight delay. But using that blend control, I can divert some of my instrument signal directly to my speakers while still hearing the backing tracks from my DAW. I would never buy another box without this feature.

The sound is good to my ears, but I found a noticeable improvement when I put a cheap DI box (Whirlwind IMP2) between the bass and the Focusrite.