1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best use of Tulipwood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TolerancEJ, Feb 7, 2014.

1. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I've been intrigued by tulipwood. What would be its best use in the construction of a bass guitar, in terms of a body, top, neck, tonewood, or fretboard (whether best for fretted or durable for fretless)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

I know Mick Karn had a Wal made out of one. He said in an inteview that it was rare to find a piece big enough to make a guitar body so he had the only one.

Not sure if that's true or not. Remember reading this in an old issue of bass player.
  3. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

I have a few bits of tulipwood kicking around my workshop which are big enough for guitars. Nowhere near as colourful as that though. Beautiful lighter grain with a bloodwood that starts out purple but goes green/brown with exposure to air. It takes stain very nicely, but is quite soft. Fine for a top if you are going to use a decent poly top coat.

Hope that helps :)
  4. DaanW

DaanW

Looks amazing as a top:
    [​IMG]

But pieces that wide (even bookmatched) are very rare
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've used it for fingerboards, both fretless and fretted. It's in the rosewood genus, it's hard enough for either. It is tough to find wide. Its smell is amazing.
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Thanks for the information everyone. That singlecut posted by DaanW looks very good. Interesting to know it has a nice fragrance. What other woods/finishes might present an interesting contrast?

Do you have a few FBB sample pictures of your fingerboards (maybe 1 fretted / 1 fretless)? Just curious to see how they look. Did you leave them as-is or had you chosen to apply a darker stain, or other finish? I would imagine a decent epoxy job is required to use it as a fretless.
  7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

If you make something out of it, please make a build thread. I've been wanting to see it in an instrument too. It has a really nice look to it.
  8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

For now, just gathering information. Perhaps a build at some point in the future. But of course, a build thread would be added.
  9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Fretless:
    http://fbbcustom.com/basses/p115-06/p115-new.jpg

The bridge is also tulipwood. The fretted one is old so I don't think I have a decent picture.

No stain is required, just oil. This stuff is true rosewood, it is hard enough to use without epoxy. The published numbers I have seen have janka at 2500lbf, which is quite hard.
  10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Looks really good. Thanks for sharing your picture.
  11. tbrannon

tbrannon

I've seen it used on several Alembic's as a top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Looks great!