Best Velcro for Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Mar 7, 2009.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

I have read that the velcro supplied with the Pedaltrain is useless so I guess I'm not going to use that. I have heard that the 3M Dual Lock is the best out there. True?

And yes....I did search....but I didn't get a velcro specific thread.
  2. LowG

LowG

I like regular velcro brand velcro. You can get a pack of about 15 feet or so at Home Depot. The sticky side holds quite nicely as does the velcro side.
    3M dual lock is cool too.
  3. whoatherechunk

any reason why regular velcro brand> 3M dual lock for you?
  4. Joe P

Joe P

My brother gets this stuff from the Harley shop that's rediculous. Just lightly nestle it, and the only way to remove it is to quite firmly jam a screwdriver between the pieces.

I dunno: it's TOO good.

Joe
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustDavid

JustDavid

Not sure what Pedaltrain uses, nor what prompted the writer to call their Velcro useless. Keep in mind that this IS the Internet & you can find EVERY possible opinion.

I've a DIY board where I rummer-cemented fabric store standard velcro (carpet side) to bare plywood. The board goes into a metal briefcase that then gets bounced around by whoever's loading & unloading gear (weekend warrior bar band). Nothing's come loose yet; don't think it's going to. I'm sure it's had some tumbles I'm happier to not have witnessed.
  7. whoatherechunk

joe p: true....i've just read that the stock velcro sucks....so i'm just looking for opinions. thanks for the advice.
  8. afroman

afroman

9. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder Supporting Member

3M Dual Lock definitely...
  10. whoatherechunk

dual lock wasnt at home depot so i just got industrial strength velcro :D
  11. DaveLS

DaveLS

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I don't know, I kind of like the stock velcro. It's a bit annoying that the adhesive on the back isn't stronger (sometimes pulling a pedal off will pull the velcro of the Pedaltrain) but I wouldn't want anything stronger for the velcro itself.

I could see if you knew exactly how you wanted your board and weren't going to change it. But I move stuff around all the time and don't want to have to pull against industrial strength velcro every time I changed my signal chain.
  13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

The heavy duty branded Velcro like this is more than you'll ever need (you can buy it at Homebase, UK peeps):

[​IMG]

The glue on that will last forever and the hook/loop is strong enough to hold a raging bull.

But the stuff that comes with the Pedaltrain is fine, I prefer it because it does the job and it's easier to pull apart than the heavy duty stuff. However, the adhesive is starting to come away VERY slightly from the board runners at the edges.

Also, I don't recommend covering the entire pedal in velcro, especially when using the industrial stuff. Makes it much harder to pry off! Little strips are the way forward...
  14. LowG

LowG

Only 'cause that's what was at the store. I've come across dual lock in other places in my life and just figured that it would work well too.

I've had no problems with the adhesive or the hook-loop strength on regular velcro.
  15. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The heavy duty velcro works fine for most applications and is much easier to work with if you change pedals frequently. Dual lock is stronger but not readily available local home improvement or hardware stores anymore. Dual lock is also available in 3 or 4 different strengths which most people don't know. They usually order the strongest possible (700 stems per square inch if I'm not mistaken) which is completely overkill for holding pedals unless you're touring with primitive apes for roadies.