Best Way for Tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by KyriacosKestas, Dec 16, 2012.

1. KyriacosKestas

KyriacosKestas

I've learnt and used to tune with harmonics.. I've been told it is the most accurate way.. But recently I heard it is not that accurate in fact..
    How do you tune? Is there any way of tuning that is proved to be the correct one?
    Thank You:)

2. matey

matey

I have an app on my iPhone and I play rock smith a lot it's always tuning your bass I'm not confident enough to tune by ear but I'm starting to notice when it's not in tune. :hyper:

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

I use a variety of harmonics and intervals until I have the bass tuned by ear. If you are new at it, or can't rely on your ear, consider using a tuner. It is all up to the player to find the best way to tune the individual instrument.

EDIT: posted from my mobile phone and realized that this is in the DB section. Sorry.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If your bass is correctly set up, I'm not sure why harmonics wouldn't be accurate...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Harmonics are in perfect temperament and we use even temperament. Octaves are fine, the fifths and fourths are out a bit and the third is out a fair amount.

7. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

You mean just temperament I think. That would mean the partials are progressively sharp which could make an instrument progressively sharp or flat if the 1st partial the perfect 5th was used to tune the adjacent string's 16va harmonic or vice versa. I think. LOL

EDIT - Regarding FRETTED Instruments: The following is a reprint of THE GUILD OF AMERICAN LUTHIERS data sheet #45.
    "You must not, at any time, use harmonic tones at the 7th fret as a point of reference (skilled piano tuners could use them because they know how many beats to introduce between 4th and 5th). Harmonic tones at the 7th fret are pure 5ths, while in equal temperament each 5th must be lowered slightly."

8. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

I just tune all the octave harmonics to fifths and have at it from there.:p

9. WCHIII

WCHIII

I can't rely on my ear. I LOVE my Peterson
    clip on strobe tuner. Do yourself a favor and
    look up this little jewel. It's easy to use and very
    very accurate. I also have a boss pedal tuner
    But this Peterson is much more reliable and accurate.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The instrument we play is not a piano or fretted, we clan play equal temperament or not.

11. hgiles

hgiles

I use the "Hear Comes the Bride" method if I don't have a tuner.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

downloaded the cleartone app today, now i think my intonation might be off, oh well

13. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I have memorized what all the strings are supposed to sound like.

14. eerbrev

eerbrev

I use a tuner, but when I get onstage and do a precursory tuning from "A", i use an open string and an octave harmonic. e.g. open G +octave D, open D + octave A an so on.

15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Anymore I mostly tune on the fly. I carry a tuning fork in my pocket and get ballpark before the hit but I'll often adjust as I go depending on what I hear from the other folks I'm playing with. Tuning to an out of tune piano is a waste.

I will usually tune with unison harmonics them compare the 4th harmonics at the octave. I know what in-tune 4th should sound like. The big thing to me is 'in-tune' is relative to the playing situation and I try be flexible.

16. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Thank god the thing doesn't have frets. I think that's half the reason I got fed up w/ guitar. Now I can just shrug my shoulders and blame myself.

17. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

All harmonics are out of tune. But, I still use them on the go (orchestra rehearsals usually). Not really a big deal. When I can (every time I practice) I just use the open strings against one another and also a tuner. Tuners get you really really close (even perfectly in the “green”) but you still have to pick a string to call in tune and match everything off of that.

18. Swipter

Swipter

I use a tuner but I use different notes too. I tune to the open and to the twelth fret. Then I use assorted notes between the open and twelth to finalize for each string. I know this makes no since but it works for me. My intonation is good.

19. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

I have a crappy clip on tuner.. I need to buy a bunch of tuning forks so I always have one handy though (much prefer tuning that way, at least on the fly). If it's for an orchestra/chamber performance I bring along my Korg OT-120 (which is normally used in the practice room only).

20. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I bought my bass in tune.

21. bassist1962

bassist1962

I use a clip on tuner but double check with harmonics & open strings. Whatever gets the job done.