Best Way To Hook Up Carvin DCM1000 and 2 Peavey Headliner 4x10s?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by spitfirees20, Dec 20, 2013.

1. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

Hello All!

I have 2 Peavey Headliner 4x10 cabinets, 800 watts RMS each, 8 ohms.

I just purchased a Carvin DCM1000 power amp that I'd like to run in bridge mode, to get the full 1000 watts at 4 ohms.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/DCM1000.pdf

Here is the rear of the cabinets:

http://assets.peavey.com/download.c...17420_13414.jpg&name=Headliner_410_-_Back.jpg

My question is: what is the BEST way to hook this up? I'm assuming 1000 watts is too much for 1/4 speaker cables. As you can see, there is one speakon connection and two 1/4 connections on the rear of each cab, so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking the best way is to get a dual banana plug cable to speakon, run that to the first cab, then run a 1/4 cable to the second cab, although I'm still using a 1/4 cable in that scenario. Does that make sense, or these a better way, such as a split speakon cable?

Thank you in advance for the help!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Never bridge using 1/4" Phone plugs. They are not safe for the amp or yourself personally.

i've never felt the need to bridge any of the stereo amps I own. I run my pair of cabinets one per channel in parallel mono. That's with the Parallel button depressed.

the amp you have must be a very old one. Mine has three Speakons on the back. One for each channel and a third for dedicated bridge.
  3. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

I had linked to the manual for the amp in the original post, but here is again:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/DCM1000.pdf

Running in parallel mono only gets me 350 watts per channel as opposed to 500, so I'd rather run the amp bridged. Also, the amp is an older model and does not have speakon connections, only 1/4 inch and banana plugs.

If I want to run the amp in bridge mode, what would you suggest?
  4. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

The manual says that to run it in bridge mode, you have to connect to the 2 Red binding posts:

The “DCM” Series can be operated in bridge mode if you require a 25V / 70V distribution speaker system
    or a high powered mono (single channel) amp. With your amp off, push in the rear (recessed) BRIDGE switch
    after you have made your speaker connections to the rear center RED binding posts (ch 1 is + and ch 2 is -
    ). No other speaker connectors or binding posts can to be used at the same time!”. The INPUT and LEVEL
    is handled by channel 1. Channel 2 is non-operational. The minimum speaker impedance is 4 ohms or a 25V
    distribution line. CAUTION: The power developed by bridging your amp can destroy most speaker systems!
  5. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

Yes, which is why I would use a banana plug to speakon adapter such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ploynk-prem...speaker-cable-Neutrik-SPX-NL4FX-/370683984040

Would that not work?

My main problem here is, what is the best way to connect the second cab to the first cab if I've already used the only speakon connection in the first cab? Do 1/4 cables have a power limit?
  6. Cirk

Cirk

Personally, I'd operate that setup in parallel mono, 8 ohms per channel. Your amp will run much cooler, leading to much longer service life. Also, the perceived difference between 700 and 1000 watts is negligible. If I'm wrong on this, someone please enlighten me.
  7. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

Parallel mono is 225 watts per channel instead of 700 watts total, right?. Correct me if I'm wrong, but providing 225 watts to each 4x10 vs 500 watts per 4x10 is missing out on a TON of headroom. Isn't that a theoretical 6+ db of difference (excluding real world power loss and the limitations of physics)?

I want to run 4 ohms bridged, if possible. Would my original idea of using a banana plug to speakon into the first cab, then 1/4 to 1/4 of the second cab, work? Or am I missing something?
  8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

+1 to Paul's and Cirk's posts.

That amp should get the job done just fine in parallel mode.

IMO, running bridged at 2 ohms is asking for trouble.
  9. lustersilk

lustersilk

I used that amp for almost a decade with my P.A. Best piece of Carvin gear I ever owned. I put it in bridge mode and then daisy chained my two 8 ohm mains with 1/4" speaker cable. Out of the amp into the left 1/4" jack on first speaker. Out of the right 1/4" jack on first speaker and into left 1/4" jack on second speaker.

This was rock solid for many, many gigs. Wish I still had this amp.
  10. lustersilk

lustersilk

Sense both his cabs are 8 ohms, he'll be running at 4 ohms, which will work just fine.

I agree though, it would work fine in parallel too. Not too much difference with the change in wattage.

I'm just trying to help the OP accomplish his goal of using all the watts in his amp.
  11. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

Wow. Thank you. This is exactly the advice I needed. I know I can run my amp in parallel mono and hook it up in other ways, but I truly appreciate you actually answering my question and not giving me answers to questions I didn't ask.
  12. BassmanPaul

If we all did as you asked we would be doing you a disservice. We advise folk on the best way to do things. You obviously just want a rubber stamp for your proposal. I, for one, will never do that. :rollno:

You seem set on Phone plugs because that's easiest for you. It is not the best and safest way with a bridged amp. You could look the subject up as I advised earlier. In a nutshell using a phone plug with a bridged amp both the tip and the metal housing are live with respect to ground. The tip is TWICE as hot with respect to the sleeve. If you happen to be holding the speaker end and a signal passes through the amp you will get a significant electrical shock. If anything at ground potential, mic cables, guitar cables, stage lighting etc, comes into contact with the metal housing you short out an output channel and risk blowing the amp. Add to this the fact that unplugging a Phone plug creates a momentary short - in this case shorting both output channels together. Amps really don't like that!

If you want to bridge into 2Ω, as you stated, you WILL quickly destroy your amp!

If you must, Banana plug to 1/4" Phone to your first cabinet. An identical cable to your second cabinet. Banana plugs stack. Make sure that the banana plugs are stacked identically. If you reverse one your cabinets will subtract rather than add.

Remember never ever unplug a cabinet with the amp live!!!
  13. lustersilk

lustersilk

You got it. I'm certainly no expert and others may have different experiences, but I'm being quite truthful about running it this way for a decade in a rowdy bar band environment and there was no trouble.

Merry Christmas
  14. lustersilk

lustersilk

He has two eight ohm cabinets. How will this equal 2 ohms?
  15. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

Merry Christmas to you also.

If I may ask, what kind of cable did you use / how did you connect your DCM1000 into the first cabinet?
  16. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

No..............

Your looking at MAYBE +3db running bridged Vs dual mono
  17. lustersilk

lustersilk

I used 1/4" speaker cable that Carvin included when I bought the P.A. for all of the connections. When the amp is bridged output #1 is the only one operational.

The minimum load is 4 ohms. Don't try to go down to 2.

You really may want to think of the other options. That amount of power difference isn't really going to have any more effect than slightly turning up a volume knob. It's not like you're going to run all levels at 10 anyway.

If it were me, I'd be attempting to do what you are doing, but I'm a crazy mad man!

Have fun, and take Paul's advice, power off everything before plugging or unplugging anything.
  18. BassmanPaul

He stated that 2Ω was his target. Not my words, his.
  19. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

Howso? Can you explain the science behind this and show me the numbers?
  20. spitfirees20

spitfirees20

I, too, am a crazy mad man, and I'm not afraid of blowing the amp by running it at 4 ohms bridge. One question though: how did you get full power using only output 1? The manual states that you MUST user the speaker binding posts to get full power out in bridge mode:

The “DCM” Series can be operated in bridge mode if you require a 25V / 70V distribution speaker system
    or a high powered mono (single channel) amp. With your amp off, push in the rear (recessed) BRIDGE switch
    after you have made your speaker connections to the rear center RED binding posts (ch 1 is + and ch 2 is -
    ). No other speaker connectors or binding posts can to be used at the same time!”. The INPUT and LEVEL
    is handled by channel 1. Channel 2 is non-operational. The minimum speaker impedance is 4 ohms or a 25V
    distribution line. CAUTION: The power developed by bridging your amp can destroy most speaker systems!