1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best way to keep the lows wih resonant filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by topo morto, Nov 8, 2012.

1. topo morto

topo morto

So I'm doing the standard thing of fuzz > resonant filter (Xerograph) to get a synthy sound. With the resonance of the filter set high, you obviously get more bass when the cutoff is low...

does anyone have any tricks for maintaining the lows wherever it's swept?

so far I've tried another static filter (set to a low frequency)in parallel, but that sounds a bit woolly and phasey; I'm not so keen on clean blend, but a compressed clean blend works better. have a few more things still to try.
  2. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

My best results have come from using a soloed octave down in parallel with the swept filter.
  3. megafiddle

megafiddle

I think the sound you want is usually done with a lowpass filter, with or without
    a resonant peak.

What filter types do you have available?
  4. topo morto

topo morto

I should probably invetigate that a bit more. I do have a Meat Box kicking around...

I've not considered it so much as I usually play BEAD (or even F#BEAD) so I feel octave below that might is a bit far.

What I'd quite like is a pedal that generates a sinewave tone at the frequency of the bass, rather than an octave below!
  5. topo morto

topo morto

I have a Xerograph (2- or 4- pole lowpass), 3Leaf Wonderlove (2 pole lowpass or bandpass, although its sweep range doesn't go all that low), and a Boss FT-2 (I think it's a 2 pole lowpass as well, could be wrong).

The fuzzes I am using are Mammoth and Death By Audio 'Soundwave Breakdown', both of which like to be the first thing in the chain, which cuts down my options a bit. I did try an Oxide but didn't find it could do what the mammoth can.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You could split your signal high and low and effect the highs only. There is a pedal to do just this but I forgot the name. Probably FEA have one.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would definitely recommend a dual-band setup, because then you can have two separate filters, each with their own cutoff point, covering two different frequency ranges. It's an outrageously Bootsy sound.

But a clean blend also works quite well, for a less extreme (more natural) overall tone.

The sfx X&M is kind of a combination of both approaches; I haven't actually tried it yet, but it's a great idea.
  8. topo morto

topo morto

I like the idea of splitting the bands first, will definitely consider getting an X&M.

The clean blend approach appeals for simplicity, as you obviously have a lot less HF in a clean signal than a fuzzed signal - but it's a bit problematic as neither of my fuzzes are as happy in a blend as they are with a bass going straight in (though now I think of it I should try in a passive blender too...)

I did get a good overall sound splitting the output of my bass just with a Y -cable, although some of the output of the mammoth fuzz sound seems to leak out of its input into the clean path.
  9. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

The closest sine wave-esque sound I've been able to get is with a static LPF with the cutoff frequency pretty low. Filtering out all of those upper harmonics gets you just a pure fat bass fundamental. Try doing something like this and running it parallel to your swept signal.

I stress parallel processing because layering basses is a huge part of modern EDM and electronica music. Most times it is a clean sub bass running parallel with a distorted/sweeping/detuned/etc.. signal.

Here is an example from my soundcloud page. This is running the OC2 in parallel, but can sound the same with a regular signal with low pass filtering applied. The sweeping starts at around 2:05:

http://soundcloud.com/marcsterlingbass/dirty-dnb
  10. topo morto

topo morto

That's been my 'plan A' - not all that enamoured with the resultswith the filters I have though. Would love to try two 4-pole filters in parallel.