1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best way to part ways with an old rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bigft14CM, Feb 6, 2014.

1. bigft14CM

bigft14CM

So I'm sure at one point we've all gotten a new rig that was replacing an older setup... Besides holding on to it for a spare, what is your favorite or best use for the old unit?

Do you sell it? Trade it? Give it away? Sell it to the local guitar shop for half of what its worth? How do you put a fair value on it? Does it replace the old coffee table?

I'm interested to see peoples thoughts :help:
  2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

All depends, really. I usually throw my gear up on Kijiji (canadas Craigslist) and see what comes in offer wise. I'm always willing to give a deal to a fellow bass player that will use it more then I will, but I'd rather keep it if I'm just going to basically give it away.
  3. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

I pass my old gear onto friend's kids that play and they end up with some gooood stuff
  4. ngh

ngh

if it is something I have a connection to, or feel like I might have sellers remorse after getting rid of, and i am not strapped for cash. I stick it on craigslist for more than it is worth and say i might accept trades. that way if someone really wants to pay i can feel like i got the good deal. and it is also a fun way to see what other people feel like trading for it (often gear i never considered that would be really fun to have).

if i need the cash i figure out what I would like to pay for it on the used market, tack on a few extra dollars (because no one ever pays asking price on craigs list). and sell it ASAP.
  5. bigft14CM

bigft14CM

see my problem is i get emotionally attached to my gear. I had my last rig for 15 years and we had a lot of shows and good times together.

It'd be smart of me to sell it, so it's not collecting dust in the basement, but its a hard choice to make.
  6. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

sell it to some kid who is trying to get their first decent amp.
    That's what I always do.
    Last rig I unloaded I sold to a chubby hispanic kid who wanted to play bass like John Entwistle. He couldn't believe I sold him a nice pre-gibson Trace Elliot rig for $400.
    The look on his face made me happy that it was going to a good home, and that it would be played and cranked up!
  7. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I had guitar gear like that from the early '80s. I hadn't used it much in 20 years but thoght of it as an old friend because of the old times. I sold it a few years ago to fund buying a bass rig.

It felt really good to NOT have unused stuff laying around. I don't miss having the basement room clogged with stuff. Optimally in life the only material things binding you to this earth should be the stuff you use. Nobody really needs a collection of unused stuff.

Set yourself free!
  8. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Sell it, keep the memories :)
  9. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

I have to sell old gear to afford the new, part of the whole cycle for me. Wish it wasn't that way, but oh well...
  10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Sell it to your local music store for half of what's it worth? If I could get a deal like that I might.

I was lucky for a while. I could give it to my niece. Then she developed too much attitude and I had to start selling my used gear.

Selling is a pain in the neck. I had my Carl Thompson for sale on Criag's and had some individual offer me $200, maybe. It she liked it.

Dealing with the sphincters of humanity are one reason people deal with the pain and agony of consignment sales. And hope their bass isn't stolen or lost.
  11. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I either sell or it keep it, depending on if I can get the money I think it is worth *to me*. For example, I sold my old SWR Workingman's 1x15 combo for $150 to a friend, and consider that a fine deal. But I won't sell my Eden Metro for $400 because I think it is actually worth more than that, even though the market doesn't agree with me.

Right now my Metro is on loan to guitarist friend of mine who is picking up some gigs on electric bass.
  12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have done this a few times.
    It really does give you a good feeling when you see them so happy to drag your crap away.
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

One old one is in the basement music room. The new one lives upstairs because getting it up and down the basement stairs is a PITA. The other old one is in storage but will probably get moved down to the other practice space. The last one is a combo I have had for about a zillion years and sounds OK but doesn't sound as good as the others. It is in the other practice space, but will proably get sold off. It's also the least valuable one and the one I'm least interested in keeping.
  14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I've donated a lot of stuff. You can see if there's a local non profit music academy that would accept it. You might be able to get a tax receipt in exchange.
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Viking burial.

[​IMG]
  16. High Camp

High Camp

I couldn't part with my Trace. I have had the amp for about 20 years now.
    And although I won't be using it anymore...the many shows...as long as I'm not in desparate need for cash...I'll keep it.
  17. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

that's kinda how I felt about my old Trace, but I just didn't use it anymore, for YEARS it sat in my garage, covered in a blue tarp.
    That thing sounds really good, and hearing the kid play through it, and then his eyes when he asked if he could turn it up, I said go for it.
    It's really all just stuff anyway, and I didn't even look at that thing for at least 8 years.
  18. middy

middy

I had an Eden 410T that I lugged around for years. It was heavy, but of course it sounded great. When I finally decided I didn't need it anymore I tried to sell it on craigslist for what I paid, $400.

Weeks went by with no bites. Finally a kid offered me $200. At first I said no, but he was so enthusiastic, it was to be the cab for his first real rig. "I can only get $200 from my parents, and I promise I'll take really good care of it."

The look on his face as he and his dad loaded it into the truck was totally worth $200! :)
  19. Blankandson

Blankandson

An uncle of mine had a very nice old guitar that he gave up on when he was in his late 80s. When he died he left it to his grandson who leads music at a church. It's being used again. That's a good use for something old but still in good shape.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not very sentimental about gear I'm not using anymore. I sell it and forget about it.