Best way to power a few pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndrewM, Dec 26, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

I recently started working on putting together a pedal board, and up until now I've been using individual 9v adapters to power each pedal (only have 4 pedals as of right now). I have a little bit of money to spend from Christmas, so I was planning on buying a board in the near future as well as finding a better, more organized way to power the pedals.

I was considering using a Visual Sound 1 Spot with the 5-plug daisy chain, but I've read some complaints about the daisy chain causing lots of noise or popping in pedals, specifically in the Tech21 VT Bass DI. On the other hand, some people don't seem to run into any issues.

Would the daisy chain be a good option, or is there any other relatively cheap alternative that would be better suited to my needs?

The specific pedals in question are:
    Tech 21 VT Bass DI
    Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
    Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
    Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

2. kevteop

kevteop

Most of the 9v supplies designed for this purpose will work just as well as the 1-Spot, just make sure it supplies enough current to power all your pedals (you can find the current draw of each of your pedals by looking up their specs online).

As for noise: Yeah some pedals don't like being daisy-chained (the Line 6 Tonecore pedals are like that too) but you can get around it by using something like the GigRig Virtual Battery inline on those pedals. If it's just the odd pedal that needs isolation then this is a good solution.

3. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I've used 1spots exclusively for many years with no noise. Once had 14 pedals on one. I now use two under my board. No issues. I'd start there as it the cheapest. If you have issues you could move up from there.

4. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

A daisy chain psu like a 1 Spot or Godlyke should work fine with those pedals. If you have isolation issues with one pedal Godlyke makes a ground isolator you could try.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

some cat on the Bay is selling a bunch of brand new B3's and mxr(I think) power bricks,239 for both,the zooms are still running around 175 and the "bricks" are 120 easy,this dude wants 230 for both,I don't need either of em but at that price,I jumped on em,dont know if thatll solve your power probs,just figured id pass it along

7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I use a 1-Spot and daisy chain six pedals with no issues. I was thinking about buying a power brick a few months ago until I realized it was totally unnecessary.

With the four pedals you have, buy a 1-Spot.