1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Best way to run two heads in Stereo?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I just shoved my LH1000 Hartke into my rack space with the GK800rb

I got the duel channel Alesis compressor, limiter with gate hooked up to both heads and I have yet to plug it all in with two cabs since I forgot my Stereo chorus when I went to fetch my gear where I store it.

I was just wondering if there is a better way to run two heads in Stereo then using a DOD stereo chorus pedal?

2. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

3. DiMarco

DiMarco

I'm not sure I understand your question. What are you trying to accomplish here?
    Without the chorus being stereo won't add a great deal of functionality unless you play a Ric with stereo out.

4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Just seeking a better way. I have it already accomplished. I run two heads in Stereo using a stereo Chorus. The Chorus effect has nothing to do with what I am doing I don't even use the effect normally, it's a DOD box with two outputs so I can plug my bass into the input and run two cables via the two outputs to the two heads so they run two separate cabs. Wala! Stereo.

I was wondering if there was a better way to do it now days?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

signal splitter ?

tuner pedal w/ 2 outs ?

effects loop ?

DI out ?

7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

If you're not using stereo effects, what is the point of running stereo? :confused:

8. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

1 amp over here, 1 amp over there.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ric-o-sound

10. taurus1

taurus1

maybe a Radial signal splitter with transformer isolated outputs might be better on paper, but if you're not having ground loop issues, save your time and money and stick with the DOD pedal.

11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Well, I'd suggest you set up a mono system then rig two cabs for stereo and listen to the difference. It's not a huge difference but it's there. If you are using two different heads you can blend tone.

Plus one head per cab and you get more power and easier running, like a motor that does not work as hard with two cylinders over a motor with only one. But that is just a side benefit.

12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I kinda thought the DOD pedal was a signal splitter.

13. DiMarco

DiMarco

I'd use the pre of the amp you like most and slave the powersection of the other amp. That way you only use one amp to eq etc. your tone and simply use just the poweramp of the other head.

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Since you're not really using the rig in stereo but rather blending two mono sources, an A/B/Y switch is the best way to accomplish this. It allows you to switch between the amps or combine them. You can also create separate effects chains for each amp (one dirty and dry, the other clean w/modulation or delay, etc). Guitar players do this a lot. The good A/B/Y boxes like the Radial BigShot or Lehle will have a ground lift and phase switches to make sure both amps play nicely together and don't cause noise or phase issues.

15. jason weatherby

jason weatherby

If both amps are driven with identical signals it's not "stereo", it's just multiple amping.

16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I guess I don't understand Stereo then? My Stereo system for playing CD's are driven by one amp and it's a stereo system is it not?

Where does the signal originate? Is it not with the Bass's pickups?

17. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

A stereo is two channels (left/right) with separate signals for each.

18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

You can do that with two amps in mono. You don't need a stereo setup, unless you're using stereo effects.

This.

19. taurus1

taurus1

yeah it splits the signal.
    you asked for a "better way" to split the signal, that's why I mentioned a splitter that has a transformer to isolate (for ground loops) the outputs from each other.
    again, if you're happy with what you have and have no noise or ground loop issues, I'd stick with what you have.

20. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

OK sounds good. I had noise issues till I turned off the high end switch on the back of the hydrive cabs. :)

21. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

SO like one of these gizmo's? http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-SEPARAT...?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d10d19070

I don't know that I am getting any noise from my pedal but if I ever want to do away with my pedals this would be a good replacement.