1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

best way to store a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by seansbrew, Mar 26, 2013.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Hello all,

I don't play anymore. I have all my basses hanging on a wall from articulating, locking wall hangers.

Although they look nice, they are collecting dust.

Should they to back in their cases? Standing upright? sideways? flat?

Or am I better off leaving them on the wall?

thanks
  2. fearceol

fearceol

Personally, I'd put them in their cases ( flat or upright would not matter to me), plus depending on the humidity in your area, I'd include some silica gel sachets.
  3. dalkowski

dalkowski

+1 to hard cases. I see you're in AZ, so humidification matters, esp with that Thunderchief. I'm no expert on the matter, but you'll find plenty if you do a search.
  4. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Also, depending on how long you store them, the various parts need some minor maintenence. Bridge saddles, screws that adjust bridge heights, tuning pegs, etc. will rust over without some minor amounts of oil or lubricant. Oils will evaporate over time, and it'll rust over and seize up. Also, unfinished or stained basses without a lacquer can dry out over long periods of time.

I'm far from a maintenance expert, but that's been my experience and what I've heard others say. As such, I'd listen to others with more experience then I, but those are some issues you can have with long term storage.