1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Best Way to Trade Gear

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bvdrummer, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bvdrummer

bvdrummer Supporting Member

So I'm kind of in the early stages of trading a bass for another one and I'm new to this type of transaction. Am I correct that the safest way is for each of us to "buy" each other's bass through PayPal and just pay the 3% fee? We could trade without money but then it's easy for one party to just steal the bass right? Are there other ways that I haven't thought of? Obviously I'm talking about shipping and not meeting in person.
  2. PAC

PAC

Have both parties ship them to me. I'll be like an agent.

Paul

:bag:
  3. bassteban

bassteban

I'll only do a sight-unseen trade w/someone I've dealt w/before- I don't care to gamble.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Same here. That just feels too shady for me.

-Mike
  5. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Read peoples feedback on here amd ebay.. Not everyone is an axxhole.. Ive dealt with and met some really good guys
  6. EmptyCup

EmptyCup Supporting Member

^ This

Good communication, and a trust in who your dealing with.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

This one of those where it's strictly up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I've talked on the phone with people I've never met in person and decided they were worth taking a chance on and I've known people for years I don't trust any further than I can throw my house. No one else can be a substitute for you on such as this. If we guess wrong you still lose.

It's an obvious crap shoot unless you know the other individual really well, so all I can tell you is if for any reason you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't.
  8. bvdrummer

Thanks, you all make some good points. It all comes down to trust and I'll see if this guy has other reps. I myself don't have any positive feedback here or ebay :(
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Just be careful and if anything goes wrong, post it here so I can relive the whole JPATA/Evan hilariousness. That was the most entertaining and fastest growing thread I've ever seen here. The TB detectives are awesome. Within two hours, we all knew his Mom's PayPal info and what hospital he was hatched in, etc. His band had to monitor their Facebook page closely for weeks and ended up tossing him out.
  10. bvdrummer

wow, I just looked at a few pages of that one...crazy!
  11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I prefer to deal here than on Ebay, actually I've never sold anything on Ebay. If a member is established and has a good rating I'm not particularly worried; my last 2 trades were me sending a bass off and having the trade bass returned in the same case. On the second one someone wanted to pay me, but I didn't feel good about them so I passed on the deal (I got a great trade shortly thereafter).

Personally I think if you have a bass and a member in good standing who is not new is interested but concerned with your feedback you could offer to trust them and send your bass first as a sign of good faith. That's no guarantee it's not a scam, of course, but that's how I'd do it.