Best way tobrun mutiple preamps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Jan 26, 2014.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    I want to run a Sansamp RPM and a VTRM and possibly others. I want to have them all usable thru the same power amp and not have to be switching the input or outputs to power amp. Whats the best way to do this? Thanks

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I am currently running those same two SansAmp preamps in parallel. Here is how it is done, courtesy of TalkBasser JGR:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/something-cool-sansamp-rbi-rpm-users-317368/

It sounds fantastic. What I do is set the RPM for clean lows/low mids, and the VTRM for dirty mids and highs. When run in parallel you pretty much get the benefits of a stereo bass rig while using a mono amp/speaker setup... not exactly the same, but close enough IMHO.

I used to run RBI and RPM in parallel as JGR described, although I preferred to use the RBI as primary and RPM secondary. Another TalkBasser runs RBI, RPM, and VTRM in parallel! I'm sure that works great too, but I want to keep my rack at four spaces (two 1U preamps and one 2U power amp).

I'm not sure how well the parallel system will work for other brands of preamps (there might be impedance/output level issues, and not all preamps have an FX loop), but it works beautifully with the SansAmps.

3. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I run a VTRM + RPM as Either/Or mode.

A standard foot switch puts #1 in Active and #2 in Passthru.
    Clicking the footswitch makes #2 Active and #1 Passthru.
    This applies to Sansamp units only.

If you want dissimilar preamps, I suggest a Rane SM26 or similar rack mixer.
    This is not foot switch controlled, but collects various preamp (balanced) outputs and uses a single connection to the power amp.

4. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
  5. Register to disable this ad