1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

best wood for bass necks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Anonymous7, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Anonymous7

Anonymous7

I know that wood doesn't really effect much anything on tone, but I was more so curious of what sort of woods would be strong and last years upon years, I was think fretless ebony and swamp ash body, not sure how long those would last though, opinions on neck woods and wether or not ebony fret and swamp ash body is any good?
  2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Oh boy.

Ill try to put this in a way I won't be beating a dead horse.
    Wood selection has a definate effect on the tone of an instrument, mainly by way of different woods weight and density.

Case in point, when Les Paul experimented with the creation of the modern electric guitar he mounted a microphone coil to a steel railroad rail and fixed a string above it. Why did he use a steel rail? because of the density of the material which directly effected the sound produced by the coil. To me that translates to different density, different tone characteristics.

Most instrument makers will tell you that wood is selected for other reasons than appearance and workability.
  3. Anonymous7

Anonymous7

So, the harder and denser said wood the better? What other hard dense woods are there, the only ones I truely know of are maple, wenge, and ebony
  4. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

Ash is a great neck wood that is rarely used.
  5. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have some Birch I have been getting ready to use.
  6. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

I don 't think he did actually.
  7. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

As far as wood selection there is no "better" in comparison to another. The different characteristics of wood in regards to seletion for tone are very much to the taste of the individual.
    Now with that said there is a reason why not too many builders use a wood like pine as a neck wood. Structural integrity plays a role in wood selection too. As a standard though maple is popular neck wood for hardness and stability, where maple is also used for fretboards to produce a certain type of tone.
    Body woods can be comprised of every wood from poplar to ash to mahogany. This is where the players goals of tone, access to types of wood, budget, and workability come into play. Research in this subject can benefit in the quest for the right wood for you.
    Lastly, factors like pickup placement/selection, active or passive tone circuit, and string selection will reaction differently on regards to tone to the combination of wood the instrument is built with.
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I don't know but I believe that story and I may have to recreate that experiment if I end up with a Darwin Award please start a thread in my honor thank you.
  9. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

He called his experimental guitar 'The Log' and made it from a 4" thick railroad tie.
  10. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Ok then, tie not rail.

I stand corrected.

A trial in density, mass, and resonance non the less.
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I am not going into the whole tone argument, because I think you can take just about all "tonewood" arguments with a grain of salt.

Maple is probably the most common wood used for guitar necks, because it is stable, readily available, inexpensive, and its tight grain makes it easy to work with.

Many woods are suitable for neck building, mahogany, walnut, wenge, padauk, ash, ect. I have even seen oak necks. The best material is personal preference.

My personal favorite are probably padauk, its very stable, doesn't require a finish, and is easy to work with. The only downside is it turns everything orange. Walnut is another that I am quite fond of, and good old maple is also great.
  12. Grizzey

Grizzey

Aluminum!
    I love my wood necked basses, but I really love the sound of my old Kramer.
  13. Joedog

Joedog

Wood , even of the same type, can vary greatly, even from diff. parts of the same tree!
    Having said that, my favorite neck is a 5 piece flame maple, w/2 walnut skunk stripes, topped with a thick quarter-sawn ebony board. I haven't touched the truss rod in years, it's that stable. Actually the truss rod has virtually no tension on it....no need!

Note to self....work the truss rod a bit so it doesn't seize up! DOH!
  14. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    GRAPHITE
  15. dewbass4

dewbass4

+1
    Hands down graphite has the potential to be the longest lasting, most durable, lest susceptible to weather changes, and best strength to weight ratio of any neck material. If you don't like the way it looks? Paint it to look like your favorite wood grain.
    As always YMMV :cool:
  16. Anonymous7

Anonymous7

So about the padauk, how heavy would that be, and should I put steel or carbon rods in it (plan on buying a custom one from warmoth) and what's swamp ash like from someone who's played it, tonally, weight, and wear wise. Additionally the graphite sounds like a good idea, anyone want to explain what its like?
  17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

When you get into wood, you get into voodoo. Every last plank is different than the next. Both luthiers and baseball bat manufacturers still rely on the century's old voodoo of 'tap tone'. What you have is probability. Maple has been widely used, so it's probability is high. Quarter sawn maple's probability is even higher.
  18. reverendrally

reverendrally

And graphite is AWESOME for the enviroment too. :rollno:

As long it's straight, stable, dry and available, it's been used for a neck successfully. Personally it stuns me that Gibson used Mahogany being so soft, but it's worked well enough for them. I see no reason why you couldn't use pine if well dried, stable and laminated well. Trussrods allow all sorts of evil things. ;)
  19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Its no heavier than maple. I have a padauk, Warmoth on my first build that I did a few years back, and I have used the steel stiffening rods from Warmoth in a few necks that I have built. They aren't very heavy, I would guess they are just a few ounces heavier than the wood that is routed out to install them.
  20. Liam76

Liam76

My favorite is Wenge with an Ebony fingerboard. I don't really have a basis for a tone comparison, however the feel of Wenge to me is weird but intuitive. Unfinished, the neck feels like you're holding a log, but it's fast, comfortable and smooth. Plus, when new, it has a very tropical smell (since ruined by me greasy mitts).